A pesty virus

jetsmell

In Runtime
I have acquired a virus on my Windows 10 Desktop that Windows Defender cannot wipe clean. It's called Exploit.Poweliks.Gen.4. If someone can give me an understandable solution to this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
It looks like a nasty Trojan virus. The best way to remove such thing is to use removal tool.

[FONT=&quot]There are many malware tools available in the market, and most of them can be used to deal with malware. However, not every tool can detect and remove all types of malware threats. Hence, sometimes you need to install different tools on your PC. Below I will list several tools that I find useful in dealing with malware.

- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - One of the best removal tools out there right now.

- TDSSKiller - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Rootkit removal tool from Kaspersky. Pretty snazzy if you ask me.

- Avira AntiVir Personal - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Avira Free Antivirus 15.0.19.164[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Really good free anti-virus application. Has somewhat annoying ad that pops up reminding you of all the fantastic other stuff you get it you would just buy it already. I've found this confuses and scares less savvy users that think it may be one of those fake-AV trojans.

-SpyHunter - Download Tool – Trymytools- Fix Your Malware&Virus Issues! - A powerful anti-malware program that can deal with different types of malware including Trojans, worms, viruses, browser hijackers, adware and PUPs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

- Microsoft Security Essentials - [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Windows | Official Site For Microsoft Windows 10 OS, Laptops, PCs, Tablets & More[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Microsoft's free Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware program. Has gotten great reviews and I've been using it on systems instead of Avira. Doesn't catch everything but neither does Symantec, McAfee, Sophos, ESET, Avira, Avast, Panda, Trend, etc . . .[/FONT]

Get a Mac :) I use to be a PC guy but you can forget about viruses, trojans, etc with a Mac. There is a tiny bit of a learning curve but you'll soon forget the PC. Nothing against PC cuz it's still awesome for coders, etc but yeah if you are not a pro coder, get a Mac and live a stress free life. Typing this on my MacBook Air right now ;)

This is objectively false.

There are quite a few viruses that aim to disrupt the OSX platform. The perception that there are none is simply because Apple computers have much less of the market share and so the majority of viruses are written to attack Windows based systems.

That does not mean however, that there are no viruses, just fewer of them.

There is no platform that is "stress free." Hell, StuxNet was written with the sole purpose of attacking a nuclear centrifuge. Add too that it was a very specific product it attacked.

If it's online, it's vulnerable.

This is objectively false.

There are quite a few viruses that aim to disrupt the OSX platform. The perception that there are none is simply because Apple computers have much less of the market share and so the majority of viruses are written to attack Windows based systems.

That does not mean however, that there are no viruses, just fewer of them.

There is no platform that is "stress free." Hell, StuxNet was written with the sole purpose of attacking a nuclear centrifuge. Add too that it was a very specific product it attacked.

If it's online, it's vulnerable.

Agreed. Mac also has some annoying viruses, especially the Flashback.

The Ten Most Dangerous Mac Viruses | PCMag.com

Back
Top Bottom