Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #21
Golden Master

Default Re: Passwords: The not to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamil64
also beware of limewire it gives out passwords sometimes. LOL my friend got hacked because someone searched limewire for YAHOO and up popped his password in a text document LOL.
Only if you put your passwords in the shard documents folders. That would be rather stupid to do.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #22
Baseband Member

Default Passwords - keep them a secret?

I am 16 but like most kids of my age have managed to hack into my dad's computer and steal all his passwords including his bank pin etc.

My arguement however is that - God forbid but if my dad died tomorrow, he being the only one able to provide for the family, we would be bankrupt as we would hav no access to his money, our savings accounts and allsorts.

Thats what i told my dad when i told him that his computer was way too unprotected.

So if you had a 20 character long pw that was all caps, symbols, lowercase, digits. Is it safer?

whizzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #23
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Steff

Yes, maybe make up a ryme or something like that... sayy Mary had a little lamb her flease was white as snow, or whatever then the password be the first letter of every word out of the ryme MHALLHFWWAS pretty hard to guess that
Old 05-17-2007, 06:49 AM   #24
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamil64 View Post
also beware of limewire it gives out passwords sometimes. LOL my friend got hacked because someone searched limewire for YAHOO and up popped his password in a text document LOL.
ill have to try that one day ... i still use "password" as my password for some things but only stuff i dont care about and that ill probs never use again
Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #25
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

The best passwords are made up of lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers and characters, no proper words that can be found in dictionaries, and the longer the better.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #26
Beta Member

Hi...I've been reading your forum and have pretty much studied this particular thread all i can...even revised my weak passwords using some of the methods mentioned above. What does anyone think of using a 3rd party password manager instead of the firefox manager? One such as Password Safe or KeePass? Are these more secure?

thanks.
swWrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #27
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to yohed55

Keeping a password on your computer in plain text is not very safe, no matter what. Its amazing how many "l33t" kids I know who save their passwords. If you keep them on your computer in plain text, you could be attacked remotely, and have your password stolen. Also, there is a much more probable threat of somebody who has physical access to your machine reading your passwords at their leisure.

Never save passwords, the time it takes you to retype them every day is worth keeping your accounts (more) secure.

I don't even save my email and I always flush my cache and cookies when I'm on a public machine, a couple of years ago I got my email spammed really bad because I saved my email on a school computer.

-Sam
yohed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #28
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

^^I do the same as him. I never save my passwords in browser or in a text document on my computer.

If you want to save all your passwords to a file, put it onto a flash drive or something like that so it's not in your computer if you get hacked.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #29
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Trivium Nate

I have Firefox save my passwords I've never been hakced so I don't worry o much about it....
Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #30
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
^^I do the same as him. I never save my passwords in browser or in a text document on my computer.

If you want to save all your passwords to a file, put it onto a flash drive or something like that so it's not in your computer if you get hacked.

ahhh that never occured to me...now to put an extra 16mb sd card to use

thanks.

swWrascal is offline   Reply With Quote