NT Authority System Shutdown

This is a step-by-step guide to installing Windows XP Home or Professional. No time to waste, so here's what you need:

• Your original Windows XP Home/Professional CD*
  • Your COA, which should be attached to the side, back, or top of the computer**
*You can also use what is known as an “OEM” disc. An OEM disc is the original equipment manufacture disc. You usually obtain this disc from purchasing hardware along with Windows, or you have obtained a copy from somewhere else- either way, it's very useful.

**The COA, or Certificate of Authenticity, should be affixed to the side, top, or back of your PC. Here is a link to see what it should look like: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

• First and foremost, you should make sure your PC is set to boot from CD first. Otherwise, nothing will happen when you put the CD in, and reboot, you will be greeted by your original OS, or an error message. You can make sure your computer is set to boot from CD by entering your computers BIOS, and this varies from PC to PC. Go ahead and pop that CD in, and reboot (just hit the restart button)
  • If your computer is set to boot from CD, you should see some text saying: “Press any key to boot from CD”. Simply press any key on your keyboard, and off we go. If you didn't get this message, your computer is not set to boot from CD, and depending on the computer, it's any combination of keys to hit during bootup that will get you in. With Dell, it's F2. With Compaq and HP, it's F10. With a custom built machine, usually it's DEL. Reboot and try any of these if you do not see the original message.
  • Some files will be loaded in order to install, and then you will be greeted with a screen for you to choose to install XP. Simply hit Enter.
  • Next, you will need to accept the license agreement. Press F8 to accept.
  • At this point, Windows searches for previous versions of Windows, 98 to XP. If you are reinstalling, you want to choose to delete the partition that XP is on. Then you follow the prompts to confirm- we're assuming you backed up any data you wanted to keep.
  • You will then be greeted with un-partitioned space. If you want to use the entire hard drive, simply hit enter.
  • Next you choose to quick format using NTFS. This applies if you are installing Windows 2k-XP.
  • Your computer will go through a process, and then reboot. Simply leave it alone until it stops. It will stop when it needs something from you.
  • Follow all the prompts, enter the information, and the CD Key (the COA), and eventually, the computer will reboot again.
  • You then will be up and running Windows XP. Don't forget to activate your copy, and immediately start downloading all your Windows Updates.
  • Hope this helped- any quesitons, PM me.

Thanks pctechmike. I had already tried that but it didn't rid my spyware. I ended up getting ctrl f11 to work and my sytem is good to go again!!! Back to factory state in came in!! Thanks again for your help!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom