Norton System Works 2005 Problem

kyleman999

Daemon Poster
i have nsw 2005 installed on my computer and one day it started to give me some problems , i couldnt open the main menu and things like that.
so i decided to reinstall it but the uninstall files were corrupted so i deleted al lthe files from the folder and hoped to use a registry mechanic to fix the rest of the problems, i thought wrong. i have one DLL file in the foldr that wont delete and it keeps starting up giving me error msgs i dont know how to remove it without formating my computer....

any suggestions

Windows XP home SP2

try and download an update via Liveupdate that may help if not uninstall the lot then reinstall.

try removing all the boot files by using the msconfig program from the run icon. Then delete all the files in the norton folder after a reboot.

so far, i got rid of all the registry entrys for norton, and delted all of the files. but now when i install it it gives me an error saying it cant find feature blah blah locate this file "patchnws....." if i press cancel it continues to install the nit crashes

I have all the Norton 2005 products installed, what file is it exactly thats causing you the problems, i'll have a look on mine and see if i can see anything. When i first installed 2005 GoBack it messed up, but restarted and did it again and all worked out okay. I've had in installed since oct. 2004 and no problems as of yet. One thing did strike me as strange though, i got a high risk alert for Welchia_ISMP_Scan attack. only thing is, it came from my IP, and was blocked, normally when things come from my IP its just a new program that i havent run for a while which needs norton configuration requests and such, but I was online as usual, and my net transfer activity started going crazy (64k isdn so it's easy to tell) and then a few minutes later i got that. ran all relevant system checks NAV Ad-aware etc, just cleaned up my machine, no virus though.
I've yet to hear about any 2005 global problems, how long have you had yours installed? Oh, and after mine didnt install first time i used the msconfig technique describe previously to allow me to uninstall fully as when windows is booted with partial/full install the processes can't be terminated.

i e-mailed symatec and they gave me a bunch of programs so it would remove any traces of norton in the registry so after this was done i reinstalled fine... just not norton go back refuses to install. dosent bother me i never used go back...

as i said in mine, GoBack caused me some hassle too. it kept freezing when it was performing the system config check to save to its memory. It worked eventually though, and its a worth while program because sometimes system restore screws up and you need Go Back to help. also it loads before the OS so if your OS messes up you still have access to it.

Back
Top Bottom