Nimda crashed my backup drive

mikeabe

Beta member
I have a 160 gig backup drive in my school computer (I teach technology). After not being able to open it, I checked Norton. The drive was hit with Nimda (just plain old Nimda, not A, or E, etc.) The computer still recognizes the drive, but will not open it. I looked at the properties and there are 0 bites left. (It was about half full before Nimda hit). I tried opening it in Safe Mode and DOS. I can see the drive in DOS, but when I do a DIR, it just returns to the D: prompt. AVG or Norton won't (can't) scan the drive, recognizes it but won't scan it. Stinger will scan the boot sectors, but not the files. The computer is behind Zone Alarm.

I have ten years worth of stuff on the drive, some not backed up, including tutorials, forms, etc. The ISD support personnel had no luck with it. I've searched the internet for answers. The "Geek Squad" wants $250 to look at it.

Has anyone happened to have discovered a fix to this solution?
Thanks

Have you tried Trend Micro's free virus scan, or thought about uninstalling Norton, and installing a new av program, such as Avast? (If the IT department will let you). Try Trend Micro's Web site by Clicking Here

See if that can remove it. I did see some variants of this virus/worm on the Symantec Website, one of which was A, and there was a removal tool for it. Try the Trend Micro link. Good luck.

To me, if the drive is corrupted like that, I'd say to force the format (Full format) The one who takes 45-60mins to do

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the Trend Micro's website Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.

pctechmike said:
Have you tried Trend Micro's free virus scan, or thought about uninstalling Norton, and installing a new av program, such as Avast? (If the IT department will let you). Try Trend Micro's Web site by Clicking Here

Trend Micro didn't do it, but it might have, so thanks for the information. Nothing wants to open the drive because it has 0 bytes left, and I suppose it requires a certain amount of space to open it. It's just wierd that Nimda is so fatal.

Thanks again, Mike

Back
Top Bottom