Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-21-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Nimda crashed my backup drive

I have a 160 gig backup drive in my school computer (I teach technology). After not being able to open it, I checked Norton. The drive was hit with Nimda (just plain old Nimda, not A, or E, etc.) The computer still recognizes the drive, but will not open it. I looked at the properties and there are 0 bites left. (It was about half full before Nimda hit). I tried opening it in Safe Mode and DOS. I can see the drive in DOS, but when I do a DIR, it just returns to the D: prompt. AVG or Norton won't (can't) scan the drive, recognizes it but won't scan it. Stinger will scan the boot sectors, but not the files. The computer is behind Zone Alarm.

I have ten years worth of stuff on the drive, some not backed up, including tutorials, forms, etc. The ISD support personnel had no luck with it. I've searched the internet for answers. The "Geek Squad" wants $250 to look at it.

Has anyone happened to have discovered a fix to this solution?
Thanks

mikeabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:32 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike
Default Re: Nimda crashed my backup drive

Have you tried Trend Micro's free virus scan, or thought about uninstalling Norton, and installing a new av program, such as Avast? (If the IT department will let you). Try Trend Micro's Web site by Clicking Here

See if that can remove it. I did see some variants of this virus/worm on the Symantec Website, one of which was A, and there was a removal tool for it. Try the Trend Micro link. Good luck.

pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Andrew2020

I did some reasearch for you on Google... Sorry to say that I am pritty sure thet you cannot do anything accept format and reinstall the system..on this drive..

GooGle it I bet you have but keep looking..

I found a removal tool if u did not try it...
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html
Audio Adapter: Analog Devices AD1986A @ ULi/ALi M5461 High Definition Audio Controller
Disk Drives:ST330062 2AS SCSI Disk Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II) x4 (1280GB)
Network Adapter: Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Andrew2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Golden Master

To me, if the drive is corrupted like that, I'd say to force the format (Full format) The one who takes 45-60mins to do
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Beta Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the Trend Micro's website Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Beta Member

[QUOTE=pctechmike]Have you tried Trend Micro's free virus scan, or thought about uninstalling Norton, and installing a new av program, such as Avast? (If the IT department will let you). Try Trend Micro's Web site by Clicking Here

Trend Micro didn't do it, but it might have, so thanks for the information. Nothing wants to open the drive because it has 0 bytes left, and I suppose it requires a certain amount of space to open it. It's just wierd that Nimda is so fatal.

Thanks again, Mike