Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-24-2004, 12:56 PM   #11
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Nice short article on closed vs. open source security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
There is very little difference between a far left and far right wing government, in the end they will both completly fuck the coutry and everyone in it several times.
Lol! Go Extreme Centre then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
Whilst there is great difference in the two paradigms of open source and cosed source, especially closed source where the hiding of the source is a security feature), I don't think there is that greater difference in the qualty of the software being produced.
I think the main problem people don't understand is that an opperating system, is just a way to access a disk.
Linux would be niothing without the GNU tools, windows would be nothing without the thousands of other companies creating software (in both open and closed source) from that platform.

It is also worth mentioning, most problems and weaknesses in the OS are not caused by the OS, They are caused by the services running on the OS.

for example Internet explorer is a weakness in windows, Had all bugs been found in IE before it was fully integrated into windows then I imagine windows would be a lot better and more secure OS.
I think the Open-/Closed-Source Debate is probably not about the Software in most people's minds anyway. Its not really even about the money. Its a psycological thing if you ask me; both in the sense of Anti-Microsoft, which I imagine brings a lot to Linux; and in the sense of the politicial analogy which seems to be popping up more often. Open-Source is embrassed by those who are more liberal, not in all cases but in most, where they believe the Operating System belongs to everybody - and according to their train of thought that belonging-to-everybodyness is represented by Linux. I woulnd't agree but its probably how most would see it. Closed-Source; and its a tribute to Microsoft that Mac hasn't come up in this at all; is seen as more Commanding; less Liberal.

Funny thing is; George Bush's Site has a Windows Server, and John Kerry's (the most evil man in history) Site has a Linux Server. Thats probably the best demonstration of the difference.

Question is; do we want Anarchy or Order? I know what I'd go for.

Old 07-24-2004, 01:47 PM   #12
In Runtime

Default Re: Nice short article on closed vs. open source security.

i dislike control.

0x54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:04 PM   #13
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Lol; I kind of guessed that.

But why not all forms anymore?