network virus's

shortii

Solid State Member
Hi all. Just wanted to ask a question about network virus's. I've recently just upgraded and bought a new computer. I'm running different anti-virus software on this one. I'm using TREND MICRO PC-cillan. I just wanted to know how frequently your computer should be getting attacked by network virus's? I've actually disabled the network security pop up box which notifies you when you're computers under attack as it was popping up every 30 seconds or so and was totally freaking me out.

Is it normal for your computer to be constantly inundated by these virus's or is something weird happening? Also is my computer adequately protected by disabling the pop up reminder?

Thanks if you can help.

shortii

disabling the popup is fine so long as you don't disable that actual protection to get rid of the annoying messages!!

it will really depend on what you are doing as to how often things will kick into action...

network virusses are usually worms, that will compramise your computer, install an EXE file and then start that exe file, your virus scanner is finding that process once it is running, and then removing the EXE?

whilst a virus scanner is a great start, you should also consider a firewall. (outpost is a good one available for free from http://www.agnitum.com/download/

you'll also find that some websites you go to will have active content downloaded into temp and your virus scanner will warn you that there is a virus in the temp folder as well.

it could be a program that your company or home was running that was showing up as virus..or an attack.

Back
Top Bottom