need urgent help

iamroot

Daemon Poster
I need urgent help from you guys on a situation im currently having:

I was chatting with a friend on MSN last night and we traded names and handphone numbers. I stored the number on my phone and that was it. This afternoon, my friend calls me and says that some guy is pestering her, saying that I gave him her number. The only way this guy could have got the number was through my comp since my handphone has been with me the whole day. It there any way I can find out if someone has been cracking into my comp and how can I stop it?

If u got anti virus scan with that first. If not get AVG free edition and then scan with that. Also Get Spybot: Search And Destroy and run that, it usually gets rid of most keyloggers i have found. Also get Spyware Doctor thats a good day-2-day use program. Also go start menu< run then type msconfig and go to the start-up tab and see if there is anything that looks fishey such as a blank thing which still has a tickbox next 2 it but not writing in the row.

AVG and SPYBOT typical Windows solution. Have you ever thought a self coded key logger / trojan wouldn't be detected.

Just check firewall logs for suspicious behavior.
Check logs for possible intrusion.
Check for miscellaneous services running.

He probably already had the #. Blamed you for giving it to him. Just explain to her you did no such thing.

RewtGuy said:
AVG and SPYBOT typical Windows solution. Have you ever thought a self coded key logger / trojan wouldn't be detected.

As long as it operates the same way it doesn't matter who coded it. I don't know exactly how the find the key loggers etc, but I'd gues that if it's similar enough to the other ones these programs will detect it.

And isn't every virus/keylogger/spyware self coded by someone in the beginning?

did it ever occur to you that you might not be his/her's only friend

and that someone else might have got that number from that person or another friend of that person

i doubt that anyone would hack your system or even attempt to go at hotmail just for 1 number

to go to the efforts to get in they would be wanting more things such as personall details credit details not a stupid number they could get from social engineering (tricking them into saying it)

I had thought about that. Thing is this guy is 2 years younger than me and my friend and not in the same school at all. Neither me nor my friend knows this guy.

Well if that's the case i think i'm going to support 135791's theory ... i mean, it is not likely that someone would illegally hack into your computer just to get a single phone number, it wouldn't be worth their time when they could do other more profitable buisness ... it's most likely someone else i think

iamroot said:
I had thought about that. Thing is this guy is 2 years younger than me and my friend and not in the same school at all. Neither me nor my friend knows this guy.

£200 says i could get your friends phone number in 2hours with a few simple lines making them believe im a trusted person over msn

135791 said:
£200 says i could get your friends phone number in 2hours with a few simple lines making them believe im a trusted person over msn

Social engineering ? Hmm ... interesting how easily some people can be fooled these days :)

Back
Top Bottom