Need Help securing my new PC !!!

MALOI98

Baseband Member
In about 3 days I am getting my new computer I have spend a nice amount of money on it, and I want it to have a nice security “system”

1st Someone told me that “corporate” Norton antivirus is batter then like Norton 2006? Is it true?

2nd Currently I have Black Ice (ISS) Firewall. How good is? What else can u suggest?

Here are my new comp specs, just incase: P

-AMD Athlon 64 4000 2.4GHz (OverClocked to 2.8GHz)
-Mushkin Redline (2 GB) 500MHz
-2WD HDD's 400G SATA 7200 RPM in a raid 0 config. 800G Total.
-Antec Aluminum Advanced Super Mid-Tower Case - Stainless Steel (5 silent fans)
-Gigabyte Radion X1900XTX
-Windows XP home edition

I also have a 30mbs/s internet connection :)

looks decent enough.. welcome to cf btw :D anway norton takes up a lot of ram and slowed down my pc so i got rid of it, id recommend you do the same (depends if you can cope with the slownes). avg has got to be the best free virus scanner and as for firewalls, i use sygate which is also free. zone alarm is also a good free firewall. ive never heard of your firewall lol but as long as it does the job and you have no probs with it then dont bother changing. also get spybot s & d and adaware and run them once a week or so, along with a disk defragmenter just to keep your system running smoothly.

MALOI98 said:
In about 3 days I am getting my new computer I have spend a nice amount of money on it, and I want it to have a nice security “system”

1st Someone told me that “corporate” Norton antivirus is batter then like Norton 2006? Is it true?

2nd Currently I have Black Ice (ISS) Firewall. How good is? What else can u suggest?

Here are my new comp specs, just incase: P

-AMD Athlon 64 4000 2.4GHz (OverClocked to 2.8GHz)
-Mushkin Redline (2 GB) 500MHz
-2WD HDD's 400G SATA 7200 RPM in a raid 0 config. 800G Total.
-Antec Aluminum Advanced Super Mid-Tower Case - Stainless Steel (5 silent fans)
-Gigabyte Radion X1900XTX
-Windows XP home edition

I also have a 30mbs/s internet connection :)

when it comes down to using anti-virus programs, it's good to just use your best judgement on review on them. i believe that a corporate edition will be better than a home version. As far as the blackice firwall, i would stick with that, i do know that sysgate firwall does not support it's firwall anymore.

you could also encrypt your folder's and/or files using an encryption software, but i would use it at your discrete, also you can set certain permissions on the accounts on the computer.

I think that corporate Symantec AntiVirus (Norton) is better than Home Version, but it isn't as handy in my opinion. It is designed for use with a server, although that is optional. When I worked at the school district, I used it without a server. So if you want to go with Symantec, make sure to choose Unmanaged in the setup. I also suggest AVG or Avira, both of those make my list. As for firewalls, just go with what everyone knows about: ZoneAlarm. I use it and I love it. It blockes everything that you need blocked, and you can set it to not tell you each time it blocked something (rather annoying to me).

I had the corporate edition Norton and it was way better the the standerd Norton had alot less problems with it. I also had AVG it sucked big time it could not get some Virus and to uninstall was a pain. But since then I gave PC-CILLIN a try an I love it I have not had and issue with it.

Corporate edition also gives free updates for life I have it on my computer and I'm very pleased with it ;)

Thanks for all ya help! Il prob go with the corp antivirus, but i also heard that running it on normal pc is not very productive, inturms of detacting virusess. Bacause my comp is not a "server" and it might not work properly? anyone knows anything about that?

DON'T PUT ANY SOFTWEAR ON IT! IF YOU DON YOU'RE MAKING IT LESS SECURE! just use it as a paper weight.

this shouldn't be too hard, there's plenty of free software that helps secure our computer, also there's a lot you can go and buy too... Router, well configured firewall, anti virus and spywear / malwear / adwear cleaner and you're set.

You might wanna start secure right from the beginning, Linux. ;)

DONT INSTALL NORTON! It gets everywhere and is a pain in the ass! It slows down your pc and when you go to un-install it, their are still loads of its files all around the place!

I personally have Trend Micro's PC-Cillin, check out the comparison here:http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7297_16-5554923.html
It just sits in the background and uses a minimal amount of memory - its basically silent! Give it a think, you will be suprisded how good it is!

Back
Top Bottom