need help hiding my IP

mantus

Solid State Member
I'm not new to computers but there is alot more i can learn without a doubt. So i used to think because i was surfing through a proxyserver,that my IP was hiden until i founf out about Java giving my IP addy away. I never looked into fixing that back then but i would like to know how to fix that now. How can i keep java from giving away my IP addy when surfing through a proxy? I'm sure most sites need Java so i don't want to just turn it off. Any advice? thanks.

*The guys seem to think that this could be illegal, [see their posts] explain to me by Nov 12th, the exact reason you want to do this. Anything by proxy could be construed as trying to commit an illegal act, there are a few dodgy sites out there.

First off, why would you want to hide your IP address, most people that do this are hackers, or have something to hide....
Anyway... you can either use an IP Spoofer, a program which creates a bogus IP addy. (Dont ask me where to get them.. there illegal in some places and I WILL NOT tell you)
Or edit the java options, there should be something about it publishing stuff.
I dont care if people see my IP address I'm not up to anything I shouldn't be

The spoofing software you have been using is probably fine.

Java should only give away your IP if the applet connects to something on the internet.

If you want a good proxy, try tor: http://tor.eff.org

got a few minutes?

proxies are boring, plus they can still do a traceroute to your ip
you can change your ip using your ISP

lets say your ip is 23.42.56.45 for example
this is what you do

First if your running windows xp
i would recommend downloading wntipcfg
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

than go into your c:\program files\resource kit\wntipcfg.exe
rename it to winipcfg.exe and drop her into your windows directory

now
click start>run winipcfg
click on more info

now what you want to do is go into your network connections in control panel
right click on local area network
double click on TCP/IP in general tab
click use the following IP address radio button
now what you want to do is go back to your winipcfg window and copy what you have there into your TCP/IP settings

except for one thing. change your IP
if that was your ip before
this is what you want to change it too
23.42.56.40 to 50

you should also scan for ip's
just go into your command window
start>run>cmd
ping your ip but just a different number
for example if this was your IP 23.42.56.45
you would scan for 23.42.56.44

if the IP is free you can use it.

Hope this helps you
sebastian

some IP addresses are locked to the connection, besides there is still the problem that in all the packets therer is a start address and an end address,
using a proxy helps to mask this, but as pointed out before, a dirrect connection made by some kind of applet will give the game away...
and you may not be able to chage it with your ISP, the best way to get a non permentant IP address is to use a dialup account instead of a broadband account.

wntipcfg is all very well, but whats wrong with ipconfig?

The program I linked to before, tor, uses encrypted paths between a random path of "nodes" to connect you to the server. Anyone packet sniffing the line would only get encrypted data. Even if they crack the encryption they would not know where it started or where it is going.

It is true that applets would give away your IP though, the solution to this is: don't use applets. If you must, then only use them from a trusted site.

Tor is a SOCKS proxy, and you can configure many different programs to use it.
It is also supported by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

BTW: I highly doubt that they could traceroute you if you are using a proxy. Anyone know about this? Would it not give the proxy as the end address? I assume that if they had access to the proxy server logs they could find you, or if they are packet sniffing the connection. But using Tor would prevent this.

yes, bu using aproy your Remote adress does show up as that of the proxy server, however most proxies are offered by professional service providers,

so if you're doing illegal stuff, don't think that the proxy provider won't habd over your details, you mean nothing to them, you're just using a service that they provide.

Hellbreather said:
First off, why would you want to hide your IP address, most people that do this are hackers, or have something to hide....
Anyway... you can either use an IP Spoofer, a program which creates a bogus IP addy. (Dont ask me where to get them.. there illegal in some places and I WILL NOT tell you)
Or edit the java options, there should be something about it publishing stuff.
I dont care if people see my IP address I'm not up to anything I shouldn't be
If i was a hacker i'm sure that is one of the 1st things i would have learned ... AND thanks for telling all of us that your being a good boy ... thanks everyone else

Back
Top Bottom