Need an AV that doesn't hog resources!

crazyman143

Fully Optimized
Hey, I need to know what the best free antivirus solution is for an older computer that is already a bit slow. I need something of reasonable quality, but will also not be a huge drag on the system like most are, need some advice.

Thanks!

crazyman143 said:
Hey, I need to know what the best free antivirus solution is for an older computer that is already a bit slow. I need something of reasonable quality, but will also not be a huge drag on the system like most are, need some advice.

Thanks!

For starters, I doubt any will run on Windows 3.1. You need at least Windows 95.

But I'll have a look for you.

windows 3.1? ehhh.. don't know if any of the modern ones will run on that.
Just get linux, or a hardware firewall and the problem is solved. :p

lol, sorry for the confusion! I wasn't talking about the one in my sig, It actually does run XP! but it runs quite slowly as it is and won't run big programs very well.

thanks for the replies

Well, AVG and Avira Antivirus are probably your best bets as far as free antivirus that use little system resources. AVG probably uses the less out of the two. Avast is free too, but would use more resources I believe... Or as I remember, when I tested it once.

I would go with AVG. It has 2 or 3 total processes that run in the background and all of them combined only use about 1.5MB of RAM which is far less than anything out there. The realtime protection is also very good too, it's caught viruses in folders I've tried to open before. It will also run on older computers too.

Avira is also very good too but I don't like the pop up messages that come up telling you to upgrade to the premium edition. Avast! is also very good but I don't care for the interface, looks too much like a media player and uses a bit more memory than the other two do.

I used to use Avira, but then a while ago I switched to AVG. Both are very good, and I don't think either one of them uses much resources. I suggest that you try them both, see which one you like more.

Back
Top Bottom