My Search Engine is Whack!

Juan handed

In Runtime
My friend is Google.

But for the last couple of weeks when I enter a search I get redirected to a couple of very generic looking search sites,one is commonly called Searchfidsite.com and a couple of other ones.

This doesn't happen every time,probably 30% of the searches.If I arrive at one, I click the google box again and then end up with the google results as normal.

When I first noticed this happening I did not occur very often,now it seems more frequent,maybe 1 out of 3 google searches.

AVG hasn't picked up anything unusual lately,and AVG does a nightly scan.Last night's scan found a few trojan horses and got rid of them,but that is the first incidence of AVG finding anything,while this search thing has been happening a few weeks.

I haven't done anything unusual,web wise, or downloaded anything unusual or opened any attachments lately.

Any suggestions?

You have a browser hijacker.
Like Reminiz said, run malwarebytes and that will probably take care of it.

Have you installed any search toolbars? I've seen a few that do this.

If not, then check any browser plugins that you have installed and see if there's anything odd.

Try clearing your hosts file too, here's where it's located.

Windows 7: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
Windows 2000: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 95/98: C:\WINDOWS

Download and run Malwarebytes.

It might pick up something thats causing this.

I downloaded the free version,ran it,did the quick scan...it picked up 25 trojan related items.

So,I deleted those items and we shall see.

I ran about 20 google searches last nite and the bogus search result only happened once,that was prior to running the Malwarebytes.

How often do you recommend running the scan? should I go with quick scan or full scan? Is there anything to watch out for prior to deleting any of the items that the program finds?

Thanks,you guys are the best.:D

With that much picked up, id reinstall windows and backup stuff as neccesary.

Viruses tend to be made of 3+ pieces when one is deleted or moved the others put it back together, chances of actually removing a virus are none to slim.

Of course, see what happens first.. maybe your the slim =P

I downloaded the free version,ran it,did the quick scan...it picked up 25 trojan related items.

So,I deleted those items and we shall see.

I ran about 20 google searches last nite and the bogus search result only happened once,that was prior to running the Malwarebytes.

How often do you recommend running the scan? should I go with quick scan or full scan? Is there anything to watch out for prior to deleting any of the items that the program finds?

Thanks,you guys are the best.:D

Definitely run the full scan no matter how long it takes. With a streamlined OS install it shouldn't take that long.

Run the app. if you suspect something is taking control of/re-configuring your system. The last time for me?... about 4 years ago and I just re-installed. But it also depends on your browsing habits too. Be careful where you go. Avast! AV software prompts you when/if your about to browse dangerous territory and if you torrent/DL/UL a lot then have a separate folder for these so you can scan the whole lot in one shot.

:)

Thanks again,guys.
I ran the full scan(malwarebytes),and picked up one item: Backdoor Bot .
Restarted and ran another scan,things were clean.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and run another scan daily for a week,to see what happens.

If my scans are coming up clean with malwarebytes,can I feel everything is OK?

Back
Top Bottom