My harddrive is making noises when I'm not even touching my computer and it turns on

Re: My harddrive is making noises when I'm not even touching my computer and it turns on

Are you sure that you turned the computer off, and that you hadnt left it on and it powered off the monitor when idle? Also, your computer will do general maintenance when the computer is idle (XP) so that could explain the HDD activity. It could also have been a scheduled scan etc.

Re: My harddrive is making noises when I'm not even touching my computer and it turns on

hmmmm

man, i mean...i don't know it's been bugggin me because it's never happened since I moved and don't have the internet...but the hardrive still makes lots of noise with a steady green light when I'm not touching it.

I was thinking that it was some adware/spyware program that collects information from my hardrive and sends it to out a third party via the net for whatever reason, but maybe it is a scheduled maintanence or security program that I don't know about since I bought it second hand and it's a korean windows...

So, should like format my harddrive twice...

i can only format with windows cd or disk in the drive right?

Like i said mate, XP generally does its housekeeping when idle. Check your AV and spyware progs for scheduled scan times, and see if any of them are set to run.

Back
Top Bottom