Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 722
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
Life:
That's funny.
I hope your dad is not using MSE and norton at the same time. I hate norton as well.
I also use Avast and i only recommend avast when people ask me.
Yes.. yes he is. I don't see any real problem with it. He used AVAST before and said he got viruses all the time. Either he didn't keep it updated, or I remember that AVAST used to be very faulty at times. But they've cleaned up and are a really great AV..
__________________

Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Fully Optimized
 
ssc456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,279
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
Me and my family have been through these.

MSE - AVG - AVAST - COMODO - and we have malwarebytes - Norton. My mother uses MSE and Malware bytes, and refuses to ever change from them. I hate them both, they are crappy, and they let Viruses on the pc all the time. My dad uses MSE and Norton. Hate Norton aswell. He hates AVAST.. I love AVAST, AVAST is the only AV I use, and ever will use. I would Recommend AVAST to anyone looking for a new one.
The only issue I have with Avast is if your like me and fall asleep whilst working late into the night it gives you a bloody fright when the lady shouts out "Avast database has been updated" lol.
It's caught me out a couple of time, when your ridiculously tired working really late on something and haven't used your sound since a good few hours ago when you were blasting out the tunes, it comes out loud

I'm sure theres a way to turn this off lol
__________________

__________________
He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 722
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
The only issue I have with Avast is if your like me and fall asleep whilst working late into the night it gives you a bloody fright when the lady shouts out "Avast database has been updated" lol.
It's caught me out a couple of time, when your ridiculously tired working really late on something and haven't used your sound since a good few hours ago when you were blasting out the tunes, it comes out loud

I'm sure theres a way to turn this off lol
There is, I just haven't found out how yet
Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

SSC:
That's funny.
I have deactivated it.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,936
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

I use MSE on all my computers and it does the job for me. If you do a little research you'll find out that the original article saying that MS doesn't recommend MSE was a misquote.

When people tell me they have a computer full of viruses, I scratch my head trying to understand how. I have been on the internet for 20 years and spend quite a few hours per week on the internet and have personally only had about a half dozen infections. On top of that, when I run a MalwareBytes scan, all it ever finds is a few tracking cookies. What do people do to get all these viruses?

Both of my sons spend a great deal of time on the net and both of them refuse to use any AV due to performance. They don't have issues with viruses or malware.

To me, AV software is secondary, a large part of not getting virus/malware is using common sense in knowing what and what not to click on or download.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

MSE is a very easy and clean AV. So i like it for that fact.
It is however still tested to be one of the "less good" FREE AV to catch virus. That's the reason i am not using it anymore.

Yeah i don't know how they manage to get so much crap thrown at their computers. I see SO many people having tons of trouble with toolbars and other browser hijacks.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
MMM
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: !!
Posts: 699
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
Yeah i don't know how they manage to get so much crap thrown at their computers. I see SO many people having tons of trouble with toolbars and other browser hijacks.
Reason is people look & hunt down for codes, hacks, pirated software instead of paying for legitimate software, so when they download their so called freebies from dodgy websites they get burnt.

No sympathy for the fools.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

guess you are right.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 722
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Reason is people look & hunt down for codes, hacks, pirated software instead of paying for legitimate software, so when they download their so called freebies from dodgy websites they get burnt.

No sympathy for the fools.
I disagree a little bit with that statement. Because there are some people who pay for everything they can, but when it comes to a program that you really need, but don't have the $699-$1999 because adobe is being the usual thieves and making it impossible for young people to get anywhere in the world... It's not right to pirate things, but it's also not right for these company's to charge prices that nobody can afford. I think if they want you to buy it, not pirate it, then charge a reasonable price, and not charging insane prices because they think they have a monopoly.. No sympathy for the big name thieves...
Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 60
Default Re: Microsoft No Longer Recommends MSE

I've been using MSE for the past 5 years now and I am very satisfied with it. However it has been crashing lately on my laptop. I am sure it will get solved if I do a re-installation.

The reason I don't like a lot of the AV's available is because they typically slow the performance of my computer and keep poping up whenever I do anything.

With MSE, I don't have to worry about all that.

I've previously used Avast! and found very good also. However I felt it was slowing the performance of my laptop so I made the switch for MSE.

Also, people have to remember that it is utopian to think that a single AV-program would be able to detect all types of viruses and get rid of them.

As stated earlier in this thread. You won't be that vulnerable to viruses as long as you think logically and think about what links and buttons you click aswell as which files you download.
__________________

__________________
I am a self-educated man regarding IT-support and I run my own website. For more info, send me a message.
Christoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0