Mcafee Personal Firewall

halfstepdown88

Beta member
We have Mcafee virus protection and personal firewall on both of our computers. We got it for free with our Qwest DSL that came with MSN. Well, it has worked perfectly in the past. All a sudden, on one of the computers when you boot it up, the M is always black and you have to right click it and "Enable" the personal firewall. What is going on? I have never had to do that every time at startup before.

I also noticed that all the tray icons except for the Mcafee "M" disappeared, so on the weird computer the only tray icon is the "M" and their used to be others but I don't know if that has to do with the problem.

Thanks,
TJ

i would just go thorugh all the settings in options, something is turning it off. i would also check the services running and check to make shure it's checked for automatic.

to get to services, you'll have to do the following: (if you have win xp)

start/control panel/system and perfomance(i think that's it)/ services.

look for the mcafee firewall> and put a check mark into the box where it say's :
automatic
manual
disable

put it to automatic, that should do it, that is if it's being disabled some how.Also you might have a virus that is disabling it also.

update all definitions and do a scan of your hhd.

if all else fails, i would do a on-line scan that will check for you.

Alright do this first of all get rid of magafee all together this antivirus program if it can be called that is crap get avg its free fast and does not mess up ok as far as the tray icons check your startup list (list of programs executed at startup) go to run then type in msconfig select the programs you want to run when the computer starts up and then run a complete virus scan with avg NOT MAGAFEE if no virus is detected with avg most likely your comp was shutdown inproperly a number of times resulting in unsaved data it needed to boot up all of your programs if this does not work go to system tools and do a complete system restore

The Drizzle said:
Alright do this first of all get rid of magafee all together this antivirus program if it can be called that is crap get avg its free fast and does not mess up ok as far as the tray icons check your startup list (list of programs executed at startup) go to run then type in msconfig select the programs you want to run when the computer starts up and then run a complete virus scan with avg NOT MAGAFEE if no virus is detected with avg most likely your comp was shutdown inproperly a number of times resulting in unsaved data it needed to boot up all of your programs if this does not work go to system tools and do a complete system restore

if not for the courage of the fearless crew the minnow would be lost in the Drizzle

Back
Top Bottom