Major laptop problems

higheststorm

Baseband Member
Ok I am used to building and using desktop computers. My step-sisters cousin brought me a laptop that DEFFINENTLY got hacked or has a virus. This is a windows 8 computer, and the startup takes 10 mins. I opened Everest Home Edition on it and it said that the motherboard manufacturer was unknown. In the start menu, we clicked on the Recent Plces, and there was a folder that was named 'Hacked Programs' When I tried to open the folder, it said that the folder was located on a hard drive that was not currently connected to the computer. Those are the first indications of a virus/hacker. I am currently installing windows 7 on it, but when it opened the window asking what hard drive to partition for windows, it showed 2 hard drives that could be partitioned for windows. The first hard drive was only 100 megabytes. WHAT?!?! The second hard drive is 250 gigabytes, so I set windows 7 to install on the second hard rive, but how is there a second hard rive on a laptop?? That is some serious modification from what I understand. And if there isntthe second hard drive installed, how would we get the suspected hacker to not be able to access the computer?

In windows 8 I'd go to google and search combofix, download and the let that run and it should stomp over the virus and kill
It.

Windows 7 & 8 both create small, separate boot partitions which is probably why you see the 100MB partition.

Windows 7 & 8 both create small, separate boot partitions which is probably why you see the 100MB partition.

^This.

Newer versions of Windows create a 100MB partition because they've changed the way the OS boots from a drive, this makes dual booting and troubleshooting easier. This partition will always remain in your My Computer, you can either hide it or ignore it.

Smash all partitions and format the entire disc. A fresh install will set the disc up like it needs to.

Back
Top Bottom