Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Major laptop problems

Ok I am used to building and using desktop computers. My step-sisters cousin brought me a laptop that DEFFINENTLY got hacked or has a virus. This is a windows 8 computer, and the startup takes 10 mins. I opened Everest Home Edition on it and it said that the motherboard manufacturer was unknown. In the start menu, we clicked on the Recent Plces, and there was a folder that was named 'Hacked Programs' When I tried to open the folder, it said that the folder was located on a hard drive that was not currently connected to the computer. Those are the first indications of a virus/hacker. I am currently installing windows 7 on it, but when it opened the window asking what hard drive to partition for windows, it showed 2 hard drives that could be partitioned for windows. The first hard drive was only 100 megabytes. WHAT?!?! The second hard drive is 250 gigabytes, so I set windows 7 to install on the second hard rive, but how is there a second hard rive on a laptop?? That is some serious modification from what I understand. And if there isntthe second hard drive installed, how would we get the suspected hacker to not be able to access the computer?

higheststorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Baseband Member

Andby the way, I hve built 2 desktop computers so I know my way around computers.

higheststorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
Golden Master

In windows 8 I'd go to google and search combofix, download and the let that run and it should stomp over the virus and kill
It.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Major laptop problems

Windows 7 & 8 both create small, separate boot partitions which is probably why you see the 100MB partition.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
Windows 7 & 8 both create small, separate boot partitions which is probably why you see the 100MB partition.
^This.

Newer versions of Windows create a 100MB partition because they've changed the way the OS boots from a drive, this makes dual booting and troubleshooting easier. This partition will always remain in your My Computer, you can either hide it or ignore it.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Wizard of Wires

Smash all partitions and format the entire disc. A fresh install will set the disc up like it needs to.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote