Lock Computer in Start Menu

Blonde

Fully Optimized
Just wondering if its possible, to have a lock computer option in the start menu - in the same place as log off and shut down.

yes there is..

A. Press the Windows Logo key + L to lock your computer. You can also turn off the Welcome screen to go back to logging on and off by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, which opens the Windows Security dialog box that contains the Lock Computer option. (If you're on a domain, you don't have the option of turning off the Welcome screen.)

To turn off the Welcome screen:

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.

Click Change the way users log on or off.

Clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.

If you have Fast User Switching enabled and you are not on a domain, you can lock your computer by switching users.

To switch users:

• Press the Windows Logo key + L or click Start, click Log off, and then click Switch User.

See the Windows XP Expert Zone tip: Create a Desktop Shortcut to Lock Your Computer.

ooh...how do you get the desktop shortcut?

I meant in the start ment like...next to log off and shut down

Have a few minutes?

To create a shortcut on your desktop to lock your computer:

Right-click the desktop.

Point to New, and then click Shortcut.

The Create Shortcut Wizard opens. In the text box, type the following:
rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Click Next.

Enter a name for the shortcut. You can call it "Lock Workstation" or choose any name you like.

Click Finish.

then just drag the shortcut to the start menu and drop it somewhere there, it wont be right beside your log off, but atleast you have a quick easy way of doing it.

You can also change the shortcut's icon (my personal favorite is the padlock icon in shell32.dll).

To change the icon:

Right click the shortcut and then select Properties.

Click the Shortcut tab, and then click the Change Icon button.

In the Look for icons in this file text box, type:
Shell32.dll.

Click OK.

Select one of the icons from the list and then click OK

You could also give it a shortcut keystroke such CTRL+ALT+L. This would save you only one keystroke from the normal command, but it could be more convenient.

To add a shortcut keystroke:

Right click the shortcut and then select Properties.

Click on the Shortcut tab.

In the Shorcut key text box, type any key and Windows XP will convert it to a shortcut, usually in combination with the CRTL+ALT keys.

To lock your keyboard and display, double click the shortcut or use the Shortcut keys.

have fun with that :)
-Sebastian

Wow. Thanks. You are really smart.

Thank you sooooo much!!! that is just what i wanted!!!

The people in my old forum would have (did) said "What do you want that for?"

Thank you so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom