Laptop with Vista unkown password

Optimus Ping

Baseband Member
Hi,

I just recieved a Laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 1501 Running Vista. I know the admin password but cannot figure out how to change the username? That past user is on the laptop with his name(which can't be changed) and the password prompt. I'm not sure what he has done to the computer. Maybe he deleted the admin account?

But shouldnt' there be a way to change the user name? Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

OP

I guess my basic question here is this: How do I bring up the admin login prompt or the ability to change users at login/startup.

I even went so far as to create a ISO disc of Ophcrack but..alas. I couldn't figure out how to use it! lol

i don't think i really understand the problem
are you saying that you can't change the username of the account
you are currently using?
if so you should just be able to go to the user account control panel
and change your name from there

i don't think i really understand the problem
are you saying that you can't change the username of the account
you are currently using?
if so you should just be able to go to the user account control panel
and change your name from there

Yeah do what he said ^^^^. But if you're trying to change admin name from limited account it's not gonna work. Even if it was a limited account I think you coulda still changed the user name. I can't quite recall from the top of my head. Never changed it much.

if you are trying to change the admin name
then you might try booting into safe mode
im not familiar with vista, but can you log in to
the admin acc w/o safe mode?
i know it works for xp if you do the security logon window

well I was able to get the old users password and login and make changes from there.

What I meant was that when you started the computer. There was no option to login as admin it only had the previous users name and password prompt. How do you even get the computer to change to the admin login. or did he remove that somehow?

Not allowed to talk about this on the forum but you could have used ophcrack but it's not compatible for vista i dont think.

Back
Top Bottom