Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default KeyLogger?

What is a KeyLogger?
What dose a KeyLogger do?
Is it good or bad?

grenades4balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: KeyLogger?

What is a keylogger and what does a keylogger do are basically the same question. A Keylogger is a piece of coded software, usually coded for a specific purpose. A keylogged does what it sounds like, it logs your keystrokes and tells the administrator of said keylogger every key you've pressed. Now, whether it's good or bad is a harder question.

It's bad, if you caught it like malware, from a download, and you don't know where it came from. They could get hold of any information you key in, anyway.

It's not so bad, even good, if it has been placed on clients by an administrator, since this can help track the usage of said clients, and relieve the dependance on proxy servers.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Baseband Member

thank you for the reply, +rep
grenades4balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
... A Keylogger is a piece of coded software, usually coded for a specific purpose. ...
That is one form of Keylogger. There are hardware keyloggers also. A device that is placed between the keyboard PS/2 plug and the motherboard PS/2 recepticle, used to record keystrokes.
Chipeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Baseband Member

I think keyloggers are the most feared form of malware.
I use Snoopfree Privacy Shield to ward off keyloggers before they infect my pc. It may not work with windows 7 though.
Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Well, sure keyloggers can get information to the software's owners, but there are plenty worse things out there.

Rogue antiviruses for example, they get ALL your details then brutally f*** your PC.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Rogue antiviruses ughhh

I had one called Ms removal tool (or something) and it blocked me from using firefox and other applications. Had to remove it in safe mode.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Baseband Member

Keylogger is a software designed to log all your keystrokes and send them to the person who made the infected file in order to gain information in terms of login to sites and maybe financial data. The logs are usually sent straight to the e-mail of the owner of that virus or as off-line .txt files if you are infected with RAT ( Remote Administartion Tool) which gives the infecter even better access to your computer.

If you wish to prevent your keystrokes being logged i'd suggest getting a key scrambler which basically sens not understandable logs as it encrypts each keystroke into a string consisting of mixture of letters, numbers and special characters.

~J4mmy
J4mmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Baseband Member

...or use a keyboard software, "soft keyboard" which is basically a keyboard on your screen you operate with your mouse. That way keyloggers cannot get the text you type.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card View Post
...or use a keyboard software, "soft keyboard" which is basically a keyboard on your screen you operate with your mouse. That way keyloggers cannot get the text you type.
Some of the most advanced keyloggers can also capture those strokes. Just saying...

J4mmy is offline   Reply With Quote