Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-01-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via ICQ to Fabric1601
Angry I've got Virus, pls help!!!

i've got a nasty worm in my computer that my av won't remove. Its giving me those two virus names:

W32.SillyDC
Backdoor.Tidserv!inf

I know that the names varies in different AVs, but with Norton Internet Security 2006 it's like above. Usually it pops up on the screen, whenever I access my C:\, like a msg saying: bla,bla,bla virus detected on your computer, NIS could not delete the file.

The files that comes all the time are with extension .tmp (e.g. TMP36.tmp; TMP27.tmp....) Basically they are keep on coming new and new in the form of TMP**.tmp

I've tried the following:

1) I've restarted in Safe Mode and deleted all the files in the following directories:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
C:\WINDOWS\Temp
2) I've tried to locate any of the *.tmp files in the registry, but w/o success.
3) I've also tried to find any processes related to them so i can stop them.

After many times of manually deleting the files in C:\WINDOWS\Temp, when i reboot, there are always two files in there called - CustomB and Perflib_Perfdata_718.dat

Help guys i really need to get this computer up and running soon and i really dont want to reinstall it again (i did one reinstallation 2 months ago)

Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: I've got Virus, pls help!!!

Hey, You could try to
-Open up in safe mode, find the location of those viruses and delete them manually.
-If that wont help then do a search in your registry through command> and type 'regedit' and do a search on those virus names or anything related to those virus'. If you find something in your registry with them then delete that registry.
-Also try to get other adware/malware programs running and see if that will get rid of your problem.
-Try a system restore if you can
-Reformat your computer

Hopefully this would help.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The[J]oker View Post
Hey, You could try to
-Open up in safe mode, find the location of those viruses and delete them manually.
-If that wont help then do a search in your registry through command> and type 'regedit' and do a search on those virus names or anything related to those virus'. If you find something in your registry with them then delete that registry.
-Also try to get other adware/malware programs running and see if that will get rid of your problem.
-Try a system restore if you can
-Reformat your computer

Hopefully this would help.
Well, as i wrote above, i've tried all of those suggestions. And as i mentioned above i dont wanna reformat or reinstall my computer.

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

use a newer AV. Norton 2006 is worthless at this point. You were due for a complete upgrade when 2008 came out. Ditch norton, its not going to be of any help to you any more.

Replace it with NOD32 (my favorite, there is a free trial at their site), AVG, any other anti-virus BUT Norton.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
use a newer AV. Norton 2006 is worthless at this point. You were due for a complete upgrade when 2008 came out. Ditch norton, its not going to be of any help to you any more.

Replace it with NOD32 (my favorite, there is a free trial at their site), AVG, any other anti-virus BUT Norton.
Well i've been using Norton products since 1999 and this was the first time i had a problem with that sort of virus. But if you say its not good, can i ask, in ur opinion which product should i use? I want the product to contain AV client, Firewall is obligatory as well, Spyware/malware removal tool. Plus as far as i read from various forums on the net, ppl with NOD32, AVG, Kaspersky, F-secure....still catch this virus
Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Cant you just quarantine it and wait till Symantec bring out a fix or send the file to them
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
Cant you just quarantine it and wait till Symantec bring out a fix or send the file to them
Also tried that. Seems like NIS cannot gain access to the file. Whatever i choose to do - delete it, fix it, quarantine it....its giving me the msg that NIS could not gain access to the file therefore the deletion/quarantine/fix was not carried out
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
Beta Member

why dont you download kaspersky anti virus the trail virsion from their website for now and delete the virus i think its better than norton anti virus, and if you like it go and buy it, i think kasper sky is better than norton ,, i know its not a profisional solution,but i hope it'd work.....just try it
tbs mds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbs mds View Post
why dont you download kaspersky anti virus the trail virsion from their website for now and delete the virus i think its better than norton anti virus, and if you like it go and buy it, i think kasper sky is better than norton ,, i know its not a profisional solution,but i hope it'd work.....just try it
Yesterday i stayed like 16 hrs to try different things. some of the things were trying Kaspersky, NIS, NOD32, AdAware, PestPatrol, MsnCleaner, and some other software which i dont even know the names......nothing worked those files are still in there Do i really need to reinstall/format it??? there should be some other solution
Old 12-03-2008, 04:32 AM   #10
In Runtime

Yayyyyy i got rid of the virus

*shoots some fireworks, and goes to the Off-license to get some bottles of whiskey to celebrate!!!

This is the place to say a grace:
"Thank You, Lord, for giving us this little precious gem, called AVG!!! And thank you for the Anti-Root removal!
Amen!!!"

lol