Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2006, 03:29 AM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
rakedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,718
Send a message via AIM to rakedog
Default Re: IP banning

First of all, if you're referring to site oldies, I outrank you by quite a lot. =P . As far as age, yes, I'm way behind.

Why in the world would it be illegal to have multiple accounts on a forum? I have ~3 or 4 on this forum for the times I was banned, and still wanted to post. I don't understand your logic. This is the internet, you can't tell people to "Use one account". People can do whatever the hell they want. Hell, if I wanted to have 1000 accounts on this site (or any other forum that I go to), I'd write a script and easily do it. I just don't have a reason to do so, and they could easily IP ban them all (or purge them all by the email, or registration date (that would take a few other accounts with them too though)).
__________________

__________________
hackthissite.org (criticalsecurity.net) | gentoo.org

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 03:44 AM   #12
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: IP banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedog
First of all, if you're referring to site oldies, I outrank you by quite a lot. =P . As far as age, yes, I'm way behind.

Why in the world would it be illegal to have multiple accounts on a forum? I have ~3 or 4 on this forum for the times I was banned, and still wanted to post. I don't understand your logic. This is the internet, you can't tell people to "Use one account". People can do whatever the hell they want. Hell, if I wanted to have 1000 accounts on this site (or any other forum that I go to), I'd write a script and easily do it. I just don't have a reason to do so, and they could easily IP ban them all (or purge them all by the email, or registration date (that would take a few other accounts with them too though)).
Oh god, I grow weary of you, ask David about CF members having more than one account, that's what I mean specifically, not the other reasons that you give, or though those sound illegal, hmmmm, I'm thinking you won't ask him, as you know I'm right, I'm forwarding this to David now.
__________________

Brookfield is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 03:55 AM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
rakedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,718
Send a message via AIM to rakedog
Default Re: IP banning

Alright then. But have fun proving it. Ever heard of proxies?

EDIT: Oh and, CF is the only forum to date that is stupid enough to have a rule about multiple accounts. It is impossible to enforce, and impossible to catch.
__________________
hackthissite.org (criticalsecurity.net) | gentoo.org

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 05:51 AM   #14
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: IP banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedog
Alright then. But have fun proving it. Ever heard of proxies?

EDIT: Oh and, CF is the only forum to date that is stupid enough to have a rule about multiple accounts. It is impossible to enforce, and impossible to catch.
Actually all major forums do. Unless we are talking about forums with <10 people registered
David Lindon is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #15
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: IP banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon
Actually all major forums do. Unless we are talking about forums with <10 people registered
Thanks David, at last a note of sanity, although it was obviously mostly one member that raised the strongest, perhaps incorrect views, oh, & doesn't he qualify for a rap across his knuckles guys for calling our CF stupid?
Brookfield is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4
Default Re: IP banning

plzz in between can aybody tell me , what is the sloution and can anybody plzz tell me ...how can i use a proxy server ?? and what is it ?? i will appreciate it ..thanks !!!
and about it is legal or illegal to have two ids on a forum...plzz leave that to me !!! i came here for a solution ...guyzz plzz help me in that purpose !!!!
snake is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
MooseMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,627
Send a message via AIM to MooseMan
Default Re: IP banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield
Thanks David, at last a note of sanity, although it was obviously mostly one member that raised the strongest, perhaps incorrect views, oh, & doesn't he qualify for a rap across his knuckles guys for calling our CF stupid?
i know were off topic on this thread but i do agree. Rakedog you may be right about being able 2 get into forums with proxies and what not. but the internet is not a do whatever u want zone. just because u have the ability 2 doesnt mean you can freely, or without risk of consequences. I think having multiple accounts is a bad thing and most people only use multiple accounts to be sly and try not 2 get caught with things they're trying 2 get away with
__________________
.::The top folder on the CF F@H team::.
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...&teamnum=42655
MooseMan is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
MooseMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,627
Send a message via AIM to MooseMan
Default Re: IP banning

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake
plzz in between can aybody tell me , what is the sloution and can anybody plzz tell me ...how can i use a proxy server ?? and what is it ?? i will appreciate it ..thanks !!!
and about it is legal or illegal to have two ids on a forum...plzz leave that to me !!! i came here for a solution ...guyzz plzz help me in that purpose !!!!
if you really want 2 use the forum you can use a different computer or use a proxy. i really don't think a proxy would be worth the trouble.
__________________
.::The top folder on the CF F@H team::.
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...&teamnum=42655
MooseMan is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #19
Fully Optimized
 
rakedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,718
Send a message via AIM to rakedog
Default Re: IP banning

David, as much as I hate to break your authority, I disagree. I don't know if you're only refering to forums you and your buddies own (I know you own several), but I've been in many, many communities online, and rules about not having multiple account are simply don't go through. Like I said before, it is impossible to enforce.

I'm not saying it's right to have multiple accounts, that can lead to spam in certain situations. But it certainly isn't illegal. (On CF it's breaking the rules maybe, but there is a difference between illegal and breaking the rules, the government can't do anything should I register multiple accounts, obviously).

snake, go google. Google proxy, or type in proxy in wikipedia to find out what it is. Go find out yourself. And learn how to type correctly online, to refrain from sounding like an idiot. MooseMan, that goes for you too, this is not AIM, please actually type out "too" or "to", the number 2 does not replace it.
__________________
hackthissite.org (criticalsecurity.net) | gentoo.org

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline  
Old 07-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #20
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4
Default Re: IP banning

ok thanx...plzz close this topic !!
__________________

snake is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0