ip addresses

bs77

Solid State Member
is it possible for me to find a persons name from an ip address....ive been getting some grief on a message board i use and this is the only way i can think to find out who it is....im not bothered about the grief but my kids read it as well and i dont want to stop them because of this one idiot.

well if what they are saying directly attacks you, it may be harrassment, you could call the police, or report them to their ISP. But if their not doing anything illegal, there really is nothing you can do. IP's change, so there is no log on who has what, except at the ISP level.

Their are no public lists of what IP matches what person. Their's almost no way a normal person could access these files (Maybee with the right connections ;) )

to find their ISP from their IP address you should use nslookup and whois tools...

if you post the address here (or put it in a PM to me), I'll gladly do the searches for you.

root said:
to find their ISP from their IP address you should use nslookup and whois tools...

if you post the address here (or put it in a PM to me), I'll gladly do the searches for you.
yeah you can trust root... ^^^

The ISP can put a stop to the person harrassing you but it would be a breach of privacy for them to flat out tell you who it is. The ISP is mandated by law to keep meticulous logs of what IP addresses are given to which account or subscriber. If you report it to the ISP and they do nothing or do not respond fast enough you may report it to the police. Depending on where the offender is located, it may be handled by your local police (the offender is within the same jurisdiction as you), state police (offender is in another county) or even the G men themselves (out of state). The agencies may work together as well. Once this takes place they will obtain a court order for the ISP to hand over the name of the subscriber who had such and such IP address at such and such time. Rarely these things are handled exclusively by the FBI if it comes to this as they would provide support for the other agency in the investigation. The end result would be they get arrested and you won't know exactly who it is until then.

yeah this happened to one of my teachers, and he told the police and they tracked down the person.

Back
Top Bottom