Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Send a message via MSN to douche.fun
Default Information

I'm not sure if this is considered security, I would call it privacy, but I didn't see any other forum where it fit better.

I know that by law internet service providers have to keep a record of the sites visited for a certain amount of time.

Would websites keep a record of what screen names a specific IP address has logged in as? Would they want to? Do they have to?

If I used a proxy to log into my accounts would I still be able to be tracked from to what my account is? Would a proxy site server steal my information?

Could someone please explain everything to me.

douche.fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Luda
Default Re: Information

Most sites do record your IP. If your running through a proxy it would record the proxy's ip.

whatismyip.com will show you what ip would be seen by the website.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
BSOD

Default Re: Information

Quote:
Would websites keep a record of what screen names a specific IP address has logged in as?
Of course, they do. For example, (one way) They cross reference your screen name with their database and they have your IP address. .
Also, a little f.y.i When you are assigned an IP address by your ISP it does pinpoint you to a geographical location as they know what end node was assigned that ip address. The then cross reference that with their accounting database and they have your address.

Quote:
Would they want to? Do they have to?
Yes, yes.

Quote:
If I used a proxy to log into my accounts would I still be able to be tracked from to what my account is?
Again, yes. Lets say you did something illegal and you are trying to hide yourself with the proxy server for a little anonymity. All the admin of the website has to do is record your IP address provided to you by your ISP very easy to get and do. (from previous logins of when you connected without using a proxy server)

Also, they can determine who the IP address belongs to (or belonged to at the time. of the crime) by getting a court ordered 'subpoena' to have the ISP turn over the data linking the IP address to an ISP account.

Quote:
Would a proxy site server steal my information?
It's possible. Also, if it's configured that way. I wouldn't just connect to any public proxy server and start using it.

For all you know it could be setup to capture *your* information.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote