Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default I'm testing myself

Hey guys.

I recently heard of this thing called a honeypot, which makes a enviroment to a hacker that looks like a real computer, although it isnt at all. There is an alternative, called a honeynet, but its a bit too dangerous for the layman.

I wanted to ask this, cause I want to test the honeypot, whats a good tool to use? I mean, I know a bunch that are good or at least helpful, like JhonTheRipper or puTTY, but what is your favorite/best program?

Please, don't take this the wrong way. This is ethical hacking, and I have paperwork for it.

ohm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: I'm testing myself

A honeypot is a computer that has no anti virus/malware protection installed... This method is used by Anti virus companies to pick up viruses etc etc for them to analyze and develope cures for viruses.
No special programs needed.... just an internet connection and plain ol surfing to do the job.

officemanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
In Runtime

I know I dont need any, I just wanted to hack myself with those programs, but without causing any true damage.

EDIT: Thanks for the comment! Added rep.
ohm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Why on earth do you want a honeypot? You don't create one to break into yourself - if you want to do that then just set up a normal machine and try to break in. Honeypots are often set by people as traps to try to lure OTHERS into breaking into them because they look like an easy and valuable target. In fact, they're generally isolated and very well monitored systems that record hard evidence about who has attempted to break into them and what they've done.

On one level, as said above, this can be used for security companies to pick up how viruses work and how they try to install themselves. But that's not the end of it, at the other extreme companies could set them up to try and gain evidence to prosecute individuals who have breached their network.

There's a fair amount of uses for it, but sticking one on a home network isn't one of them!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohm55 View Post
I know I dont need any, I just wanted to hack myself with those programs, but without causing any true damage.

EDIT: Thanks for the comment! Added rep.
Only one way to find out is to try the programs you mentioned, hope you dont get burned along the way.
officemanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Site Team

There's nothing wrong with programs like john the ripper and putty - but you need to understand what they do, how to use them and when to use them. Putty is used for all sorts of things, I use it daily - not for malicious purposes but as part of my job!

If you want to play around, just set up a spare machine and try to break into it or pummel it until it gives up. Nothing wrong with that! As long as it's your own machine of course. It's just not called a honeypot