I want to protect my PC

Alex_tom

Baseband Member
Guy's I am using windowsXP service pack 2. I am happy with it. I like it's presentation and capability of work. But it's not providing me full security. any body can delete my file in it and also can copy unnecessary data. So please tell me what should I do to prevent all of this?

Alex_tom

Guy's I am using windowsXP service pack 2. I am happy with it. I like it's presentation and capability of work. But it's not providing me full security. any body can delete my file in it and also can copy unnecessary data. So please tell me what should I do to prevent all of this?

Alex_tom
Create user accounts, this way no one can access your files.

Alex:

You say any body can delete your files? and copy data?

Does this mean you are sharing your computer with other people at home? or across a network or?

What do you want to restrict and prevent in particular?

You could do lots of things..

You can create a zipped file and put a password on it to protect your files. You could have you own external hard drive or flash disk, to save your work on.
You could create user accounts for everyone, so they all have their own space on the computer (if you are the administrator)

If its family / friends talk to them, and explain what the problem is, and not to copy certain data??

If its across a network, make sure you have an active firewall (windows provides a basic one, found in control panel)
Theres plenty of free software to run virus and security scans, if you dont want to purchase something like Norton.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

also

http://www.safer-networking.org

It's a pretty good idea to install Malwarebytes, Spybot, and for AV AVG Free Edition. Use the immunize feature in Spybot which works pretty well. I would also suggest encrypting your files and installing programs to monitor who accesses your computer.

Malwarebytes is one of the best removeals out there... A good virus protection is microsoft security essentials, I absolutly hate avg, macfee, and norton. I don't have an opinion about spybot because I have not tried it. But I know a lot of big businesses that choose microsoft's essentials and never get bit.

I personally use Comodo Internet Security, it's a free download and works fantastically. You get popup notification even if windows is trying to access certain files. The firewall also blocks all attempts by unknown sources and prompts you to take action first before allowing a connection. Visit
www.comodo.com

Back
Top Bottom