I think someone is monitoring my laptop

Runner

Beta member
OK, long story, best I start at the beginning. I work on Outlook Express and the other day I was looking for a specific e-mail I had sent to a specific person. I found this group of e-mails in the list all sent on one specific day from my e-mail address (I did not send these e-mails). On further investigation when opening the e-mails (clever hey?!) I found that these specific e-mails sent dates and times change as my computer date and time changes. A couple of days later this happened again. Then suddenly one of my profiles was blocked because my password had been "stolen". I changed all passwords on all my profiles. Then the above happened again. I ran malware bytes and found something called Koobface.trace. I have reason to believe (due to some circumstances) that someone is trying to get into my files. What is happening and how do I stop this from happening, AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL - HOW DO I CATCH THEM????

Thanx P, do you think that my thoughts with regards to these e-mails are correct? I have kept them in my e-mails (if I should need them as proof), I do believe I know who these people are.

First of all, Outlook Express is the worst email client you can run. It's like giving an engraved invitation on a silver platter to hackers. Try something like Mozilla Thunderbird if you want a free email client that is similar to Outlook/Outlook Express. Depending on what operating system you're running (and what kind of file system your HDD is formatted with), you should apply more restrictive folder/file permissions on anything important. As far as catching them, if you think you know who is trying to access your files then confront them. You can also run a personal firewall program like ZoneAlarm to prevent access. Running a packet sniffer might give you a little insight on when your file system is being accessed.

Excellent CBoucher, I remember I gad Zonealarm installed years ago, will try it again. Could you suggest a specific packet sniffer I could use. Funny I was just reading another post regarding a router's password thatr had been changed and the port forwarding thing. My router which has been working like a dream for the last year or more suddenly just wouldn't allow me acces whatsoever. Can't even ping the router although my ISP was picking up current sessions on it?!?!?! This is seriously freaking me out!!!

Back
Top Bottom