I think I opened a phishing email

mattyj

Beta member
Uhoh! I think I opened a phishing email. The title of the email said it was from UPS and that I had a parcel waiting for me. It seemed reasonable-ish, so I opened it up. The email itself was completely blank, no text, no images, nothing. So I suspect that the purpose was to gain access to my system...could be wrong.

What should I do? Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can protect myself now that I've opened it?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm macs shouldn't usually get viruses, Run what ever virus scanner you have and see that comes back with.

OP, I just sent you a private message with my email address. If you forward it to me, I can check it out and see what we're dealing with. This is assuming you haven't deleted it, of course.

With you being on a mac, I'd say the chances of there being anything harmful are very low. Still, checking it out isn't a bad idea, and you've got me kinda curious now.

Last edited:
Opening an email like that generally doesn't do anything, it's when you click the links or reply to them that you start getting into trouble.

Opening an email like that generally doesn't do anything, it's when you click the links or reply to them that you start getting into trouble.

Correct, most of the time opening emails is pretty harmless, just don't click or touch anything inside of it and you'll be fine!

Back
Top Bottom