Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-17-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default How safe is the internet?

I've been a long time computer user and have been victims to many spams and scams around this huge network called the "Internet". I was told many times and heard that the internet is not a very safe place to be on all the time; but how safe is the internet really? Some people made it seem like if you go on it, you are already someone's victim. Of course this might sound a little exaggerated but what are the chances of someone being a victim of another? Is the internet really as bad as people make it seem like?

Have you ever been a victim of someone else? How did you get out of the situation? How do stop being victims in the future?

Have a awesome day.

DUDE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: How safe is the internet?

Dude. Man. That a huge issue. There are a lot of things you can do to make your computer safer to use on the 'net, but nothing is %100.

The best thing to do is do your own research. I guess a good place to start would be http://www.wiredsafety.org/.

Datalyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

The internet is perfectly safe if you use common sense.
E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datalyss View Post
Dude. Man. That a huge issue. There are a lot of things you can do to make your computer safer to use on the 'net, but nothing is %100.

The best thing to do is do your own research. I guess a good place to start would be http://www.wiredsafety.org/.
Hey Datalyss, thanks for the link.
DUDE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by A True Folder View Post
The internet is perfectly safe if you use common sense.
Correct, It depends on what you do with it, if your just surfing then using a firewall,pop up blockers and site restriction's will be sufficient, if you like to download or use p2p programs your are at a much greater risk
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
BSOD

But sometimes those things are not enough to get safe as much as possible. Some of Viruces seem to be upgrading everytime.
BiWsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
BSOD

Quote:
I was told many times and heard that the internet is not a very safe place to be on all the time; but how safe is the internet really?

The internet is NOT a safe place. Espically when you talk crap to people you don't know.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

No, it's not safe. Websites can be attacked and give you a virus for looking at it, or you could get scammed.

Yes the moment you get on the internet you are a victim. Internet bills are wayyyyy to expensive.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
No, it's not safe. Websites can be attacked and give you a virus for looking at it, or you could get scammed.

Yes the moment you get on the internet you are a victim. Internet bills are wayyyyy to expensive.
Prime places of internet fraud are forums, the likes of Myspace & Facebook especially or even CF really, It i surprising the amount of detail people reveal about themselves on chat rooms and forums, thy don't realize that people dedicate there lives to going round all these sites and hand pick a persons name then find out as much detail on them as they have givern out, then go to another forum and search the same name and dig up a little bit more, before you know it they have opened an account and stolen ££££££££££££ and yo get a letter chasing up the arrears
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
hows that big toe doing from hitting that guy in the elbow with it? Did it ever recover yet? I don't think it ever did. 6'1 and 165 pounds <--- tall and lanky 25 year old who 'thinks' hes a bad ass. I don't think so junior. btw, tell michell i said hi. Orange county (la palma) to be exact.
what the frak are you talking about?

Anyway, the internet is about as safe of unsafe as life itself. Just use your best judgment, and some good "anti-*" programs along with a good firewall (I think most DSL/cable/satellite modems have built in firewalls). You can test your firewall at sites like http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/.

Datalyss is offline   Reply With Quote