Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
BSOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 582
Default How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

Ok so basically my Norton contract is running out tomorrow and I can't renew because my dad isn't going to be home until friday and 'll need his credit card details (He doesn't want to give them to me over the phone). I was wondering would be really dangerous to go on the internet without the software. I'll only be going on this, another forum and facebook.


Any help will be most appreciated, Clacker.
__________________

clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
~Darkseeker~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

It's only dangerous to browse onto sites that you aren't familiar with. Stick to sites you know are safe, and don't go on any dodgy site or download any dodgy files that might start to really ruin your day.

Examples of safe sites:

facebook
google
youtube
wikipedia

etc, reputed and safe sites.

examples of sites you shouldn't even click on :P

thepiratebay (or any torrent site really)
redtube.. (goes without saying)
any foreign or dodgy looking sites really

__________________

__________________
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked ASUS GTX 660 Ti // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
#JC4PM
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
BSOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 582
Default Re: How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
It's only dangerous to browse onto sites that you aren't familiar with. Stick to sites you know are safe, and don't go on any dodgy site or download any dodgy files that might start to really ruin your day.

Examples of safe sites:

facebook
google
youtube
wikipedia

etc, reputed and safe sites.

examples of sites you shouldn't even click on :P

thepiratebay (or any torrent site really)
redtube.. (goes without saying)
any foreign or dodgy looking sites really

Yeah I wouldn't dare go on any stupid sites or download things, so do you reckon facebook and this forum will be all right then??
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
~Darkseeker~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

Yeah, the biggest problem when it comes to our own security is our own callousness, If you don't go on dodgy sites, you won't get anything dodgy :P
__________________
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked ASUS GTX 660 Ti // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
#JC4PM
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
BSOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 582
Default Re: How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
Yeah, the biggest problem when it comes to our own security is our own callousness, If you don't go on dodgy sites, you won't get anything dodgy :P
No porn for a week then. :P
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
~Darkseeker~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,494
Default Re: How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

oh and btw, you could just pick up a free AV and use it until then

Not like it's hard to find something as good as norton lol
__________________
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked ASUS GTX 660 Ti // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
#JC4PM
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
JCB
Daemon Poster
 
JCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,302
Default Re: How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

dont use chat programs such as MSN / yahoo chat / skype

They are used to spread viruses
__________________
Check Out My Computer Related YouTube Channel @ Click Here
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
BSOD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 582
Default Re: How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
oh and btw, you could just pick up a free AV and use it until then

Not like it's hard to find something as good as norton lol
I would do that but I don't want to download anything as I have no anti virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
dont use chat programs such as MSN / yahoo chat / skype

They are used to spread viruses
That was weird I was about to go on Skype.
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
In Runtime
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 330
Default Re: How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clacker View Post
Ok so basically my Norton contract is running out tomorrow and I can't renew because my dad isn't going to be home until friday and 'll need his credit card details (He doesn't want to give them to me over the phone). I was wondering would be really dangerous to go on the internet without the software. I'll only be going on this, another forum and facebook.


Any help will be most appreciated, Clacker.
If you get a virus then just use maleware bytes to remove it.. That's all. It's very unlikely one will just randomly pop into your system destroying your data and killing the parts without you actually doing something to allow it such as clicking on ads. Most of the time it's usererror of them clicking random stuff then it is just random unluckyness.

If one gets in, you run a scan and remove it, and then move on

I doubt skype, msn, yahoo spreads viruses. I use all 3 and have been fine for months. Are you talking about the file transfer stuff?

Not to be rude but in my opinion you're overeacting the whole virus thing. People get them and remove them everyday, most are useless troll viruses anyhow.
krone6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Baseband Member
 
jeremy28092's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 73
Send a message via Yahoo to jeremy28092
Default Re: How dangerous is it to go on the internet without virus software?

+1 to krone6 people are way to paranoid about viruses. you should really try to educate yourself about them. I have never seen a virus I couldn't remove. you can't get a virus by just browsing the internet. you have to actually let it in your pc. by either downloading it from torrents or other p2p software or by clicking links to things that you don't know what it is or where it will take you. with a little common since and some knowledge of malware then you will be fine. I haven't ran an antivirus in years. I use malwarebytes to scan every few days and it catches everything 99.999% of the time. for the other .001% of the time use forums like the one here post your problem and we can help you clean the pc everytime. So don't be scared to surf the web with no antivirus and for the love of god please please stop giving your money to these companies like norton. there are way too many free programs out there to use that are 300 times better than the paid stuff.
__________________

__________________
If I have Helped you in anyway pls + rep me thank you

SYSTEM:amd phenom II 955 BE, 4 gigs of DDR3 cas 6 RAM, ASUS m478t-e, OCZ vertex 2 80 gig SSD, 1.5TB western digital caviar black, seasonic 650 watt gold certified fully modular psu, 2x HD4870 in crossfire X, coolermater HAF932, coolermaster V6 cpu cooler
jeremy28092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0