How Can Phone with No Internet Plan Update with Downloads? (hacked?)

atrueidiot1

Solid State Member
I have an LG phone with T-Mobile pre-paid calling services.

The pre-paid plans range in value from like $40 ...$100, etc., but the one I have does not have internet service included/enabled.

Yet, I occasionally see the phone say it has downloaded an update. How is that possible with no internet service on my plan?

Did I get hacked and someone is faking this?

Thanks for your help!

As I am not in the USA this is pure speculation but here in the UK we do get service updates via the phones cell connection. Our providers can set our phones up over the normal on air system. I would imagine it is much the same in America.

As I am not in the USA this is pure speculation but here in the UK we do get service updates via the phones cell connection. Our providers can set our phones up over the normal on air system. I would imagine it is much the same in America.

Would that mean they could do it even if I personally never purchased an internet service plan, nor allowed them to use my home WiFi (which is password secured and I've NEVER typed in the password onto my phone)?

Thank you for the clarification.

Also, whose internet are they using then? If it's not my house WiFi (through Verizon), is it T-Mobile's own internet? I just think it's very weird that they can sort of force my phone to have an internet connection like this. If it's for legit purposes, then great. But still a little weird. lol

Would that mean they could do it even if I personally never purchased an internet service plan, nor allowed them to use my home WiFi (which is password secured and I've NEVER typed in the password onto my phone)?

Thank you for the clarification.

Also, whose internet are they using then? If it's not my house WiFi (through Verizon), is it T-Mobile's own internet? I just think it's very weird that they can sort of force my phone to have an internet connection like this. If it's for legit purposes, then great. But still a little weird. lol

1. Yes they can update their firmware over the cellular connection.

2. They use the cellular connection.

3. You own the hardware, the software that runs on it is only a license to use the software, they retain ownership and rights to update it or discontinue it at any time.

Back
Top Bottom