Hotfixes?

Tourniquet

Solid State Member
When I go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, I see many "Hotfixes" in there.. which I know were not there when I bought my computer. They're things like:

• Windows XP Hotfix - KB823182
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB823559
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB824105
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB824141
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB824146
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB825119
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB828035
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB828741
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB835732
    Windows XP Hotfix - KN837001
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB829645
    Windows XP Hotfix - KB840315

There's like 30 or 40 of them and I don't think they should be there... should I remove them?

no they are from windows update and are patches to protect your system from hackers etc...

all you can do is hope that in the future MS will properly test their OS's before releasing them.

Haha! It is impossible to completely test against determined and horny (for hacking) hackers over 3 years into the future. Even over 1 year into the future at this rate.

because in the world of linux they like to hide fixes y branding them new kernel releases or just new software.
as a comparisson think about how many hotfixes have come out for IE6 since it was released, (in 2001) now think how many major verion releases as well as hotfixes there have been for Mozilla.

Same difference with windows XP, Redhat have gone through at least 3 Major versions since 2001 (8,9,fedora) - Suse have had versions 8 and versions 9. same with Mandrake.
Debian, although have managed to keep their major version releases down to an absolute minumum release a massive amount.
if you install 3.0r2 (woody) then as soon as you run apt get-update and apt get-upgrade then you'll find almost 2Gigs of updateswaiting to be downloaded...

I've said it before and I'll say iot again, the only reason people who use linux don't take any more notice of this is because
1, they like Microsoft bashing
2, Linux is free, so how can you compliain?

In start contrast to the (almost) 2 gigs f updates you get for debian I ordered the updates CD from microsoft (which is free to post in the UK and US) which comes with updates for windows 98, 2000, Me and XP. all updates to feburary this year (when I ordered the CD) and comes on only one CD (eg this is less than 700MB for all majo OS releases)...

So, you may sit back and laugh as microsoft actually lists the hotfixes that have been applied and lets you uninstall them ni the unlikely event that they actually break something. But I laugh a great deal more at the Linux users spending hours downloading updates and still praising the very ground the developers walk on.

(Just to complete this, I can understand why Linux developers are so praised, they do do a great job, and most are not paid a great deal if at all. -so tey do deserve respect)

Haha! Brilliant. Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant.

All I can say really. That was the most unbiased thing I have seen all of this year - and yet it was still completely brilliant.

why do insist on thinking im talking about linux?

and your method of comparing update sizes isnt quite what you make out.

how about measure the amount of updates for a debian base system?

I know....
I was going to reply to LK response with...
Lord Kalthorn said:
Haha! Brilliant. Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant.

All I can say really. That was the most completly biased thing I have seen all of this year - and yet it was still completely brilliant.
but I decided I'd let him have his own opinions,
I guess I assumed you were talking about linux because you are a linux user, my methos of update comparisson isn't exactly accurate, for one you have to bear in mind that updates for most linux apps are released from the source as well.
guess you could have been talking about Macs, as far as I know they don't really release that may updates at all.

root said:
I know....
I was going to reply to LK response with...

but I decided I'd let him have his own opinions,
I guess I assumed you were talking about linux because you are a linux user, my methos of update comparisson isn't exactly accurate, for one you have to bear in mind that updates for most linux apps are released from the source as well.
guess you could have been talking about Macs, as far as I know they don't really release that may updates at all.
Your quote has my comment down as sarcasm - I said unbiased and it was a compliment of your comment.

Back
Top Bottom