Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default help with volume control

hello, my computer has been acting slow lately and now today the volume keeps going to the lowest it can go, even when i drag the bar back up to the top, it just mutes again..

ive ran a bunch of virus scans(i have avg and spybot).. and now im running a mal scan

any ideas? need some help, i dont know to much about computers...

Lukewaldon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Solid State Member
Default Re: help with volume control

Sounds like you have some form of corruption - i use AVG and Spybot 8.0, both are normally quite good. Try updating the definitions on them both and run again. If that doesnt work i would try to download some free anti-spyware and run that. If that doesnt work - you may be facing a complete reinstall of Windows, so make sure everything is backed up.

I'd go through the list of installed programs aswell, remove anything you dont need or have recently downloaded and installed. Run Disc cleanup and then defrag afterwords. Check what applications are running on startup (bottom right of screen, next to clock - if you have to many icons here, you have to many unnessacary programs running auto on startup.
Clark33 is offline   Reply With Quote