Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #11
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby
Default Re: Help!I can't download anything, i think zonealarm messed up my computer

Hmmm... Try these programs then...

TuneUp Utilities 2006 - Cleans up your registry, defrags it, and optimses your system.
CCleaner - Cleans up any crap that you don't need, like temporary internet files, wasted space, etc. Hence the name.

Hopefully they'll get rid of any remains of Zone Alarm for you.

Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #12
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Help!I can't download anything, i think zonealarm messed up my computer

If nothing works do system recovory

Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan

when u were in the registry editor where did you look? chances are it will be under HKEY_CURRENT USER/SOFTWARE and then something like zone labs or zone alarm, or also there is another 1 but i forgot the other folder, i think it is HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE i don't remember exactly how the folders are named but those are the names. under the software sub-directory there is probably a zone labs folder, just delete it entirely :P
Old 03-22-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
Wizard of Wires

ZA won't block a download unless the setting are turned up to max. Then it looks at everything as a threat. Also since you state you removed it and it still occurs then it's not za. Check your browser settings. On my IE6sp2 I have it set to question all downloads. This is due to an ongoing problem with a ad agencey trying to shove a DL on to my IE. Look in the tool setting at the top of the browser.
As for other programs saying ZA is still there, do a reg clean up. The reg entry is still there giving a false return.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #15
Beta Member

I'll download tuneup utilities and ccleaner on another computer, i'll get it over to mine and run them. for some reason in registry editor, i couldn't delete the zonealarm files (it wouldn't let me) but i found them. if nothing works, and it doesn't let me delete the files i've found, i geuss i'll back up all my important stuff and reformat. btw i think i had it set on high, which is the reason i can't download anything, and programs like aim and ares that i have can't connect to the internet. if anyone has other suggestions for programs i could install that would get rid of ZA please post 'em. thanks for the help, everyone.
RedTerror13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan

well i am running ZA and everything is on high execpt i am in a trusted zone from my network. i never have any problems with it, i just get asked 2 accept things alot it seems, also make sure 2 run ccleaners registery cleaner, and i would say make a backup. if that doesn't work and ur willing 2 try and find a program called eraser 5.0 or something like that u can probably get rid of it.... i would probably just reformat if those programs don't help
Old 03-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #17
Daemon Poster

tell us I f you get it fixed so we don't posting on the subject