Harassed/ investigated thru Internet Forums

jade1

Solid State Member
Has anyone ever encountered this.
I recently posted an opposing view on a forum site. Unfortunately my views were different than those of my employer.
Now I found out he is out to seek the names of all the users on this forum.
Most importantly there were no NAMES used when referring to work, neither the employers or workers. A work scenario was discussed upon, and examples were cited but NO names.
I worry that my name can be traced thru the IP address.
Also, what are the cahnces of simply denying you wrote it. Just because it comes back to an IP address does that definitely point a finger at the writer, or simply the computer?
This is an odd occurance, and one that has me cautiously worried. I don't think my opinions, off the job, about the job, should come back to haunt me, especially if there is NO slander or libel. And NO secrets were discussed, the scenario was one that was openly talked about everywhere on off the job!! Any insight.

Side note...I tried a utility that was posted for the IP address...It came back to a series of numbers I guess like it should.
Then I tried the START>RUN>CONFIG way. I get a diffrent series of numbers.
I have 2 computers, one hard wired to the cable provider, the other networked wireless.
Sorry if this is long, had to fit as much info I thougt would be needed for a response.

The only way they could get your name from an IP is to contact your cable company and get them to check their records.
This seems very over reacting but then again, I don't know what you wrote.
You could get a new Ip for yourslef but I am sure the cable company will have records.
I suggest just sort it out with an appology or something.

Getting IP

Yeah I kinda figured that, but I'm not sure if they willl release without a court order, or subpoena. Believe me there was nothing written that would justify a subpoena or court order.
What about the IP, would that only state where it came from, obviously back to my computer, but not the ID of the writer.
Why would I get 2 IP adresses when I check my comp? One IP I get when I search thru the start>run menu to DOS, the other when I try the utilities that search for the IP.
I have already issued a retraction.. such as this:
..........."It appears that the aforementioned fictional rants, and stories, written to satirize the job, were mistook for factual accounts, and SHOULD have been read as fictional scenarios designed to
stimulate and shock ones senses. There were no covert or overt attempts to lessen the respectability of the job and or it's members!
The attempt was for levity, and or humor, and may be perceived at having gone a bit over the edge. Any similarities, or references to persons living or dead, within a story, was purely coincidental, and unintentional.
If any readers were offended by this attempt at dark humor, we apologize, as this was not the intention of the writers.
Levity, and humor are great forms of flattery. As was the lame, but true intentions here."

You Should be safe then.
If you are seeing two IPs, one will be from you ISP and one will be local for your network.

How do they differntiate which is which.
Believe me this is causing a bit of concern on my part. I do not like to be the subject of a witch hunt. I thought barring any form of threat, or posing a danger to society would lead to this. Not stating a view that people don't like. I'll tell ya, I'm swearing off any political work view should I come out unscathed. I hate this job, but I need the money, and retirement is 14 years away.

Very sorry to hear about you situation. I am not sure what you can do. Can you make up with anyone or something?

You are overreacting about that, only the Administrators of the site could know your IP from you posting; and then only your ISP know your IP Address. Your employer would have to have been seriously offended and seriously insane to be able to find who it was who said it! Unless you put in your name in your resgistration - but only the Admins could see that so again it doesn't matter.

Could you tell us what you said? :D It would be interesting to see what is so dramatically offensive?

Harrassed

In a nutshell I simply stated an opinion that the Union did not like.
I alluded to the point that the union has their favorites that they go over and above for. I IN NO WAY MENTIONED SPECIFIC NAMES, nor did I use nicknames. I alluded to titles that exist in our form of employ. Ex Lt, Capt etc. NO NAMES.
I mentioned a scenario where a supv. DID NOT back two workers who did the right thing. But because the supv did not make the necessary notifications after the workers informed that supv. (on a timely basis) the workers got jammed up and transferred. But because this supv was a union favorite, they would not go against, and let the workers hang to dry.
I also mentioned how there were sweetheart gigs given out to undeserving or unqualified individuals.
Again everything was alluded to, with no names mentioned.
I guess they took offense that it was posted, and the supv, vainly figured it was about her/him.
But these scenarios were no secrets, spoken about openly after they happened. I guess the big thing is we are in talks for a new contract, and the union wants it to pass.
But moral is at an all time low, and people are looking for increases, and they aren't offering at least cost of living increases.
I even submitted a retraction at the last post. :
..................It appears that the aforementioned fictional rants, and stories, written to satirize the job, were mistook for factual accounts, and SHOULD have been read as fictional scenarios designed to
stimulate and shock ones senses. There were no covert or overt attempts to lessen the respectability of the job and or it's members!
The attempt was for levity, and or humor, and may be perceived at having gone a bit over the edge. Any similarities, or references to persons living or dead, within a story, was purely coincidental, and unintentional.
If any readers were offended by this attempt at dark humor, we apologize, as this was not the intention of the writers.
Levity, and humor are great forms of flattery. As was the lame, but true intentions here...............
I was a little concerned about the witch hunt. I know they brought some workers in to discuss the writings. Didn't know if they could get a subpoena to have the forum open up their books to get a look see at the IP, then trace the IP to the actual provider, then I guess the provider would have to open their records. Is this correct?
How easy would it be for the forums to open up their info?
This has me a little on edge. I could stand to lose a good gig, that I WORKED hard nad put time in to get. I AM NOT a union favorite believe me.
They already called me, I denied all. Only admitting to seeing the forum.
I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Any other thoughts or ideas?

Back
Top Bottom