Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2
Default Getting hacked and lost everything

A few days ago I got a message on my laptop saying another IP had connected to my laptop. At first I never thought anything off it and nothing was looking weird and the virus protection antivast free what I was using was all okay. Last night I was on Twitter replying to tweets and then my windows were closing and noticed a messaging saying that my computer had been effected and all my files were deleting themselves. Sadly I lost everything and my brother had to reset my laptop back to default basically like what it was when it was new.

I re-downloaded antivirus and got McAfee for free for a trail. I got a message about 20 minutes ago saying another IP had connected to my laptop again and I am worried the same thing is going to happen again and again.

Can anyone help me? Is there away I can stop this IP from connected? I am with BT and have a Acer laptop 5742Z.

If anyone can give me some free advice or help or how to stop this it would mean a lot.

Thanks.
__________________

Felan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
MMM
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: !!
Posts: 699
Default Re: Getting hacked and lost everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felan View Post
A few days ago I got a message on my laptop saying another IP had connected to my laptop. At first I never thought anything off it and nothing was looking weird and the virus protection antivast free what I was using was all okay. Last night I was on Twitter replying to tweets and then my windows were closing and noticed a messaging saying that my computer had been effected and all my files were deleting themselves. Sadly I lost everything and my brother had to reset my laptop back to default basically like what it was when it was new.

I re-downloaded antivirus and got McAfee for free for a trail. I got a message about 20 minutes ago saying another IP had connected to my laptop again and I am worried the same thing is going to happen again and again.

Can anyone help me? Is there away I can stop this IP from connected? I am with BT and have a Acer laptop 5742Z.

If anyone can give me some free advice or help or how to stop this it would mean a lot.

Thanks.
Whether you using cable connection or Wifi, make sure you have decent firewall running.

I think you should consider a better Internet Security suit to use....

I recommend Nortons as I use it, others to consider are Kaspersky or Eset nod32....
OP will recommend other brand names but do your home work carefully on choosing a better product....
__________________

MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: aus
Posts: 89
Default Re: Getting hacked and lost everything

run for the hills.
threadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Getting hacked and lost everything

I see two possibilities here as to why it's come back.

The first is that the infection wasn't completely destroyed when you got re-installed. If the MFT wasn't deleted and reformatted a rootkit could still be laying in there. A full format, not the quick one that many re-install disks default to, would be needed to clean that up.

The second is that you re-installed something, or re-copied over an infected file. Ditch McAffee and look into Kaspersky or NOD32 like MMM recommended (NOD32 is my favorite). Using those, scan every document you happened to have a copy of before putting them back onto the computer, and if possible set the program to scan external devices when they are plugged in to prevent auto-play infections. Do the same with executables you download to re-install your programs. Assuming it's not a rootkit like I mentioned before, it's likely that one of those are re-infecting you.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2
Default Re: Getting hacked and lost everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
I see two possibilities here as to why it's come back.

The first is that the infection wasn't completely destroyed when you got re-installed. If the MFT wasn't deleted and reformatted a rootkit could still be laying in there. A full format, not the quick one that many re-install disks default to, would be needed to clean that up.

The second is that you re-installed something, or re-copied over an infected file. Ditch McAffee and look into Kaspersky or NOD32 like MMM recommended (NOD32 is my favorite). Using those, scan every document you happened to have a copy of before putting them back onto the computer, and if possible set the program to scan external devices when they are plugged in to prevent auto-play infections. Do the same with executables you download to re-install your programs. Assuming it's not a rootkit like I mentioned before, it's likely that one of those are re-infecting you.
Thanks are these free? I need something that is free. My brother re-set everything bu the IP message came back again. So it must be still there.
Felan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 951
Default Re: Getting hacked and lost everything

Nod32 is not free, but well worth the price, quite frankly.
__________________
Civility, Substance, Subtlety, Style: Success
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Getting hacked and lost everything

Disable network discovery.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: Getting hacked and lost everything

What exactly does the "IP message" say? Are you sure it isn't just saying that you have an IP conflict with another device on the network? Try reserving an IP for this machine in DHCP. It's possible that the IP message and the virus issues are two different, unrelated problems.
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 13
Default Re: Getting hacked and lost everything

If it is someone doing this, and not a virus(sounds like a virus) You can change your i.p(might be how they are getting into your computer. Click start then run and type cmd. Then type ipconfig /release. after that type ipconfig/renew. It will give you a new i.p address. If it is a virus, i recommend having a good antivirus and antimalware, then running your computer into safe mode and scanning your whole computer with your antivirus and antimalware.
Hittled7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 4
Default Re: Getting hacked and lost everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felan View Post
Thanks are these free? I need something that is free. My brother re-set everything bu the IP message came back again. So it must be still there.
for a quick free remedy, you can download a free trial here - fastest antivirus I've ever used.
__________________

andrewvandalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0