formatting a hard drive to military standard

perhaps the virus resides in the boot sector, if this was the case then your only options are;
fdisk /mbr (might work)
Using a disk erasure program (guarenteed to work)

root said:
perhaps the virus resides in the boot sector, if this was the case then your only options are;
fdisk /mbr (might work)
Using a disk erasure program (guarenteed to work)

I actually have a new HD in there, is it possible that the virus may have spread to the CPU? Not exactly sure how it works.

No the virus wouldn't recide in the processor. Possibility it spread to the new one. I recommend buying latest version of Mcafee and downloading Adaware.

root said:
let me explain, standard practise is that all hardware is not allowed to leave the premesis.

all computer hardware is there for left in a really big cuboard, My friends father has "helped himslef" to a few PCs in the past, but is always very carefull about what he takes, who he lets know about it, and what happens to it.
the PC may be marked Property of US government, but aside from that there would be no way to trace it back, and certainly the hard disks would have been wipped over many many times.

Come to think of it I have US army CPU fan as extra cooling on my graphics card.

Where I was every place had to destroy the hard drives of computers that were longer needed, even places with non-sensitive data.

I think the rest of the stuff was just trashed. I remember because we always had to take the hard drives out of old computers, and they went in one box that was sent for destruction.

I thought that a waste, so I have a few hard drives that were headed for destruction that never contained critical data. Only 2 gig drives but hey, it's extra space :).

Back
Top Bottom