Firewalls and internet security

AnonymousIIV

Solid State Member
Hello. I used to have a program called Norton Internet Security, but since upgraded due to my computer been hacked so many times. I am now using Norton 360, which is supposed to provide better firewall protection and internet security. Anyway, even after buying a better version, I am still getting hacked. My question is, what is out there? I don't want free programs, and I have heard negative feedback about McAfee and Trend-micro, etc. What does all the techies think? What firewall and internet security software should I install? Should I use a business version instead of home versions as they might provide extra security? Thanks so much!

How are getting hacked? Any particular reason why you are being targeted?

Your best bet is to use a firewall appliance. One advantage to this is that it frees resources on your computer.

Most routers nowadays have built-in firewall capability, so that is a logical first step.

Or, if you want to spend some money, there are commercial firewalls out there.

If you have some time to kill, want to learn a little bit about computers and Linux, you could build a firewall for yourself using an old desktop and free software such as Smoothwall, m0n0wall, or ClearOS. Each of these are Linux-based firewall operating systems. The companies behind them sell support, otherwise their base software is free for individuals to use and evaluate.

Personally, I have Smoothwall Express 3.0 on a P4 1GHz with 756MB RAM with CLAMAV scanning my content for malware and DansGuardian filtering content to keep my kids from going to sites they shouldn't see.

@Dngrsone. Thank you for your polite response.

"How am I getting hacked?" - I'm not exactly sure myself. They managed to disable my Norton 360 Firewall and then I noticed the mouse move around the screen. The mouse started opening up programs, deleting things, installing new things, restarting the computer, etc.

"Any particular reason why you are being targeted" - I have no clue whatsoever, unfortunately.

The above solutions you gave are excellent, thanks. I will have a look at some websites in relation to the above products and update my skills.

Again, thank you for your help.

@Dngrsone. Thank you for your polite response.

"How am I getting hacked?" - I'm not exactly sure myself. They managed to disable my Norton 360 Firewall and then I noticed the mouse move around the screen. The mouse started opening up programs, deleting things, installing new things, restarting the computer, etc.

"Any particular reason why you are being targeted" - I have no clue whatsoever, unfortunately.

The above solutions you gave are excellent, thanks. I will have a look at some websites in relation to the above products and update my skills.

Again, thank you for your help.

Have you got any important details on your computer?

Make sure you have Remote Assistance turned off.

OK. I will check that now. I have never enabled it so should be fine.

Have you got any important details on your computer?

Yes. I have sensitive documents, my passwords are all stored in Norton IdentitySafe (I inquired with them to make sure it's safe to store passwords in there and they told me it's completely safe. At least I hope so). I also do access Government websites, do online banking, etc.

So when you got hacked did norton alert you regarding a virus or any unusual activity? What are you internet browsing habits, do you usually visit websites that offer free software or that kind of stuff?

Are you using any file sharing programs?

Have you been regularly updating software? Not just Windows updates but updating third party software such as Java, Adobe Reader, flash, Microsoft Excell (or the entire office suite).

Also, what operating system are you using? (Windows XP, Vista or 7?)

Back
Top Bottom