firewall help!

compguy91

Fully Optimized
Hey everyone,
I'm looking or a good free firewall and was wondering if anyone knew of one? I've tried comodo and it was good but I didn't like all the popups, I'm currently using zone alarm free version 7 but I hate it because it's more bloated and I don't like the toolbar it installed in outlook. I've considered outpost but haven't read up much on it so if anyone has any experience with that feel free to share.

Thanks!

Well off the top of my head, others I could suggest you try would be Jetico free and Sunbelt Kerio free. I tried Jetico free once, but it had way too many pop ups for my liking and took too long to configure. Not sure about Sunbelt Kerio free though.

As for Comodo, I never had a problem with the amount of pop-ups that came up, no more than Outpost or Zone Alarm in my experience.

I've never actually tried Outpost Firewall free version, I do use the Pro version however and love it, it does take a bit more to configure than Zone Alarm and Comodo however.

Hope this helps anyway, good luck.

Toby said:
Well off the top of my head, others I could suggest you try would be Jetico free and Sunbelt Kerio free. I tried Jetico free once, but it had way too many pop ups for my liking and took too long to configure. Not sure about Sunbelt Kerio free though.

As for Comodo, I never had a problem with the amount of pop-ups that came up, no more than Outpost or Zone Alarm in my experience.

I've never actually tried Outpost Firewall free version, I do use the Pro version however and love it, it does take a bit more to configure than Zone Alarm and Comodo however.

Hope this helps anyway, good luck.
sygate personal firewall is another good firewall although the ui isnt up to much it does a very good job , and as for comodo i use that on my laptop andit works very well and there is no excessive pop ups

yea sygate is nice and simple. ive personally dont have a problem with zone alarm. i think its great. no toolbars anywhere for me. not sure about outlook though as i dont use it

Yeah, just buy a cheap router. Only like what, $50 for a decent wireless one? I have a router and I just use the Windows firewall and I have zero problems.

If you conscious about system resources, it's the way to go.

I know I'll probably get burned for this, but if you're using Windows the default firewall works pretty well. That is if you learn how it works and how to harden it.. In Unix/Linux iptables is just as good as Cisco's ACLs, if not better. Again, if you learn how to use it. I would definitely agree that the best protection overall is a gateway/router with a built in firewall. I like HotBricks.

I have a wireless router but I'm not too keen on messing with the settings. I just decided to stick with comodo, seems to work the best so far. Thanks for all the help everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom