Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default firewall help!

Hey everyone,
I'm looking or a good free firewall and was wondering if anyone knew of one? I've tried comodo and it was good but I didn't like all the popups, I'm currently using zone alarm free version 7 but I hate it because it's more bloated and I don't like the toolbar it installed in outlook. I've considered outpost but haven't read up much on it so if anyone has any experience with that feel free to share.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby
Default Re: firewall help!

Well off the top of my head, others I could suggest you try would be Jetico free and Sunbelt Kerio free. I tried Jetico free once, but it had way too many pop ups for my liking and took too long to configure. Not sure about Sunbelt Kerio free though.

As for Comodo, I never had a problem with the amount of pop-ups that came up, no more than Outpost or Zone Alarm in my experience.

I've never actually tried Outpost Firewall free version, I do use the Pro version however and love it, it does take a bit more to configure than Zone Alarm and Comodo however.

Hope this helps anyway, good luck.

Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby
Well off the top of my head, others I could suggest you try would be Jetico free and Sunbelt Kerio free. I tried Jetico free once, but it had way too many pop ups for my liking and took too long to configure. Not sure about Sunbelt Kerio free though.

As for Comodo, I never had a problem with the amount of pop-ups that came up, no more than Outpost or Zone Alarm in my experience.

I've never actually tried Outpost Firewall free version, I do use the Pro version however and love it, it does take a bit more to configure than Zone Alarm and Comodo however.

Hope this helps anyway, good luck.
sygate personal firewall is another good firewall although the ui isnt up to much it does a very good job , and as for comodo i use that on my laptop andit works very well and there is no excessive pop ups
Old 03-25-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

yea sygate is nice and simple. ive personally dont have a problem with zone alarm. i think its great. no toolbars anywhere for me. not sure about outlook though as i dont use it
Old 03-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

a hardware firewall.
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
Golden Master

Yeah, just buy a cheap router. Only like what, $50 for a decent wireless one? I have a router and I just use the Windows firewall and I have zero problems.

If you conscious about system resources, it's the way to go.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
Solid State Member

I know I'll probably get burned for this, but if you're using Windows the default firewall works pretty well. That is if you learn how it works and how to harden it.. In Unix/Linux iptables is just as good as Cisco's ACLs, if not better. Again, if you learn how to use it. I would definitely agree that the best protection overall is a gateway/router with a built in firewall. I like HotBricks.
Maustin3595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

I have a wireless router but I'm not too keen on messing with the settings. I just decided to stick with comodo, seems to work the best so far. Thanks for all the help everyone