Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320
Default Firewall?

Are they nescesarry to have?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to LukaszR
Default Re: Firewall?

yes and no. if you do a lot of browsing and downloading from P2P and FTP then yes its necessary.
Your question is very vague, its not necessary to have anything, you don't need to have anti virus, antispyware protection...nor do you need a firewall...its really all up to you and how protected you want to me from the harmful things around on the web.

I would recommend using Comodo Firewall. http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
Its a great firewall i've been using for a long time now, and it does what its supposed to do.

So to answer your question, is it NECESSARY to have?? NO, its all up to how protected you want to be from threats and harmful things.

www.Cyber-Talk.ca League of Legends and Gaming Community
LukaszR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320

I Do alot of downloading so thats one point,but if i continue to go on without one,whats the worst that could happen?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodude112320 View Post
I Do alot of downloading so thats one point,but if i continue to go on without one,whats the worst that could happen?
well someone could hack your computer through your router...and access files on your PC.
Now i don't know too much about hacking, but i'm sure if you googled...things taht may happen without a fire, i'm sure you'll learn something quickly lol.

Another thing wit Comodo firewall which i like about it, lets say you get infected with a virus that uses the internet to spread...at a click of 1 button...you completely freeze any incoming or outgoing connections. i find that handy

Old 11-04-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
Site Team

I remember back before i had a hardware firewall. Whenever i would reinstall windows XP (before the service pack 2 days) the windows firewall was disabled by default and if I connected to the net I would within a few minutes of being connected to the net be infected with the sasser virus. It happened a couple of times to me and I had to remember not to connect to the net before I had a firewall working.

I reckon a good question would be what benefit would you gain from not using a firewall?

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Baseband Member

i don't have firewall on my system. i don't like them. i feel they will slow down the system.ofcourse it's upto you.
computerstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerstudent View Post
i don't have firewall on my system. i don't like them. i feel they will slow down the system.ofcourse it's upto you.
i'd be careful eh. one day...your pc could get totally hacked. but like you said, its up to you

Old 11-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Baseband Member

If you are a first time user of firewalls I recommend you take some one with some experience configure it for you. Because if firewalls are configured incorrectly they may even block you from doing certain tasks.

http://www.techstudentsworld.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszr View Post
i'd be careful eh. one day...your pc could get totally hacked. but like you said, its up to you
Hi
Thanks for the concern though. But the system I use for casual browsing I don't have firewall. Because I hate browsing slowly.so I don't want it for casual browsing.But my pesonal system has one good one. So no worries

If you want firewalls but don't want your system to get slow you may go for hardware firewalls which give more protection than software firewalls but they are much expensive and more difficult to configure.
computerstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

If you have a router or any other kind of hardware firewall then your safe without one. I will never go without a hardware firewall. Software firewall after that is pretty much optional. Just the windows firewall is more than enough at that point.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

I agree, I use my hardware firewall on the router, plus on all the Windows XP SP2 or higher machines, I keep the Windows firewall enabled by default.

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote