Email history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

therockstar920

Solid State Member
I have heard that email history is kept on website server and one should delete emails from that also to prevent theft of important information. If this is true, then please tell me how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In your email browser (Outlook, Thunderbird, what-have-you), go into the email settings and tell it to delete messages that are more than say, 7 days old.

If you do your email through the internet (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.), then deleting the mails from your inbox and then emptying the trash will make it all go away.

Interesting... or did I understand your question.

So will Google keep our emails that have been already deleted? I kinda think they are stored somewhere...

I assure you for remote E-mail like Google and Hotmail, it is still kept in one form or another for some time. Some big companies make optical back-ups of all the data stored on their servers. However, the point is to prevent somebody from illegally obtaining your E-mails. So, deleting your E-mails and emptying trashcan is A:Sufficient and B: The only thing you can do. As for Outlook, same thing, then wipe the free space of your hard drive.

I assure you for remote E-mail like Google and Hotmail, it is still kept in one form or another for some time. Some big companies make optical back-ups of all the data stored on their servers. However, the point is to prevent somebody from illegally obtaining your E-mails. So, deleting your E-mails and emptying trashcan is A:Sufficient and B: The only thing you can do. As for Outlook, same thing, then wipe the free space of your hard drive.

This. Also there is the fact that no data is truely deleted until it has been over-written multiple times. Given time and money and most "deleted" files (or emails in this case) can be retrieved. With the Thousands of terabytes that Google or yahoo have on their servers, I'd imagine that it'd take years to over-write enough to actually make the emails irretrievable.

Well to be honest you should not keep anything like pay pall acount information on your pc anyways, also banks (none that I have heard) send personal information to an email or ask for personal information for there bank system. If you are so worried get a really good fire wall up, that usually scares of hackers.

Back
Top Bottom