E-Mail: "you visit dirty sites"

Avery4jc

Baseband Member
Well guys I have no idea what to do...I've never had any problem with junk e-mail since I switched to sbcglobal.net and I'm in love w/ it. Then I open my e-mail today and I see some junk, not a big deal I thought it happens so I reported it as spam and it was added to my block list, then I got to a suspicious e-mail. It said (as the title stated) "You visit dirty sites" or something like that and it was from mail@gov.net and then I looked at my inbox and I had about 5 or 6 of these things from mail@gov.net and from mail@fbi.net
I opened one of them and it said that my IP address had been logged on 30+ suspicious sites and that I needed to download the attached form and respond. It had an address and phone number at the bottom too (presumably fake). I scanned it and Yahoo wouldn't even let me download it because it had so many virus' on it. So my question is this, normally I would just delete it and think wow that was a very well done fake spam mail but since it was from mail@gov.net and others from mail@fbi.net I thought it might be real. But at the same time why would the government contact me through e-mail and send a virus if they had a real problem w/ me. *sigh*
I'm so confused, oh and how does a proxy server work, it may sound random but if I understand it correctly someone who actually does stuff they shouldn't be doing is able to "hide" their IP address, does that mean that they are using some innocent person's IP like mine? Or is this just a well done Spam e-mail. I'm super stressed over this so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

-Avery

I'm 99% sure it's spam
I'd just delete it.

I woulnd't worry about it at all. If by some huge miracle it would be the goverment/fbi dudes then u can just tell them that u thought it was just spam and ignored it.

And about proxies, they don't really hide the ip, u are connected to a proxy server (which can see & log ur ip) and then when u browse the internet u always do it through that server. So then the ip that u see is that servers instead of ur computers. And the only way that some hacker can use ur ip as a proxy is to hack into ur computer and do what ever he does from there.

So nothing to worry about.

That's a total relief, if I get another one I'll post a screen shot because believe me it was VERY well done...oh also how in the world did they get a fbi.net and gov.net e-mail address?

Thank you so much! Now I can have a good Turkey day....Happy Turkey day to everyone on here and thanks again for the help.

-Avery

Actually out of intrest i ran gov.net and fbi.net through who is and...

fbi.net is registered to Foo Bar Internet
and
gov.net is registered to The Skylonda Group.

I've gotten about 75 of these same emails each one containing a virus............
Norton grabbed them all!

Yeah, if the government had something important to tell you, email would be the last method they'd use. They still like their paperwork. :p

Also, if it really were from the government, the domains would end in gov, not net. So yeah, delete that crap.

Back
Top Bottom