Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Dodgy PUPs and malware in the registry

Hello I was wondering if anyone can help me. Yesterday we inadvertently downloaded something dodgy onto our computer. McAfee detected malware, PUPs and a trojan. I have ran our virusscan and got rid of the things it found and ran Hitman Pro which also found a lot of things. However I have been warned that these things are really difficult to get rid of and that they hide in the registry. Spy Sweeper has found about 4 infected registry files and I believe has deleted them, yet I don't know if there are any traces left on the system that might replicate. What I'd like to know is how can I know that it has all been removed? I would have searched the registry manually to see if the affiliate companies' files were lurking about but I don't know what the companies were called unfortunately (didnt know that was important at the time). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not getting pop-ups or anything like that, but each time I run Spy Sweeper it seems to detect something new. At the minute i'm running a scan with system restore turned off but I'm at a loss as what to do afterwards. Thanks.

interpolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
The Candy Man
Default Re: Dodgy PUPs and malware in the registry

i would get a copy of cc cleaner , it's a free utility that you could use to clean out your hhd & registry of junk and errors. just one thing though... do the scan with the program in safe mode.

other good and free spyware programs are Spybot Search and Destroy / and Spyware Blaster / AdwareSe / Counterspy.
" Let the music move you "
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote