Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Default DDoS - Q's

Hey some guy was threatning to ''DDoS'' me, he said if he did it I would be kicked off my Internet until he stops it.

Is there any ways to stop this? And was he being serious?
__________________

keva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
Default Re: DDoS - Q's

It is possible if he has your IP, it floods your resources basically. I haven't really had the pleasure of being on the receiving end of this (fortunately) but here is some information on it if you didn't know already. Denial of service.
__________________

__________________
Regards,
RemoteTechs
www.RemoteTechSolutions.com
RemoteTechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Default Re: DDoS - Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteTechs View Post
It is possible if he has your IP, it floods your resources basically. I haven't really had the pleasure of being on the receiving end of this (fortunately) but here is some information on it if you didn't know already. Denial of service.


Ummmmm he has my MSN....
keva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
Default Re: DDoS - Q's

Probably not since you and the other party are connected to the MSN IM server. However if you were corresponding via email it would be possible to traceroute your IP. Maybe you could install a firewall such as Comodo (freeware) as a precautionary. You should read up about it before hand as it goes a little OB with the blocking sometimes....
__________________
Regards,
RemoteTechs
www.RemoteTechSolutions.com
RemoteTechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: DDoS - Q's

Quote:
Hey some guy was threatning to ''DDoS'' me, he said if he did it I would be kicked off my Internet until he stops it.

Is there any ways to stop this? And was he being serious?
No, he wasn't being serious. Actually, scrap that. He probably WAS being serious in his own world, but he's also probably a mindless script kiddie branding around terms to try and scare people. He wouldn't have a clue where to start and I'd be shocked if he even knows what a denial of service attack is!

I could go into pages of detail, but in short these sorts of attacks are only effective if you've got (at least) hundreds of systems out there under your command. This isn't going to be the case with a mindless idiot threatening you over MSN.

Quote:
It is possible if he has your IP, it floods your resources basically. I haven't really had the pleasure of being on the receiving end of this (fortunately) but here is some information on it if you didn't know already. Denial of service.
Yes, it's theoretically possible, but it's not something to ever worry about because of the sheer amount of resources you'll need to do it effectively. I've encountered a few script kiddies say the same thing to me on MSN thinking they're intelligent - I give them all my IP address and tell them to go ahead. Never once had a problem!
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: DDoS - Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteTechs View Post
Probably not since you and the other party are connected to the MSN IM server. However if you were corresponding via email it would be possible to traceroute your IP. Maybe you could install a firewall such as Comodo (freeware) as a precautionary. You should read up about it before hand as it goes a little OB with the blocking sometimes....
If you have sent files to him, or received them, then it tend's to be a Peer to Peer connection (so he COULD get your IP address). Same goes for Webcam.

If you use certain mail clients there is a chance that they sent your IP with the message - Webmail client's don't, though.

If he did try to DoS/DDoS you, then you could just reset your router. Chances are, you have a Dynamic IP, and this would sort the problem out.


It's much more likely that he would try and DoS You. As Berry120 mentioned, a lot of people like this are script kiddies, and it's doubtful that they have Botnet's at their disposal
__________________

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0