CPanel exploit?

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I was bored, and decided to put /cPanel after the url of a lot of websites. For many of which that brings up a control panel login, and from which you can pretty much do as you please with the site.

Suprisingly a lot of sites use this tool, and very easily i was able to bring up the login screen without any preliminary screening. I would think that sites, (especially the sites that contained sensitive information such as SSN's, credit card numbers, etc. etc) would do something to prevent me from even acessing the cPanel login screen, such as an IP filter. Or some kind of extra layer of security. Of the 20 websites (all either ecommerce sites in which sensitive information could be obtained from) i tested (i wont disclose the URL's so people with malicious intent don't do anything stupid), 15 of them I was able to easily acess the cPanel page.

Anyone whos ever run a website knows that there is a default login to most adminastration tools. Very common usernames and passwords. Right now i can think of about 10 different common usernames and about 5 common passwords. By simply trying combinations of the both (i was bored, shutup, this is what i do with my free time :-D) i was able to get adminastrative access to 5 of the sites.

Is this just dumb luck on my part, or does this pose a security threat? I mean, lots of people buy things online, and if i wanted to i could of either setup a fake site on the domain so certain information would be sent to my inbox when a client submitted an order, or some other evil thing to obtain sensitive information.

I've never really tried hacking before, (if you can call it that), but this just seems too simple. This post is both a warning to people who have not changed their default cpanel login, and a shocking story that should reveal to all of us that buying things on the internet is not as safe as it may seem.

EDIT: Every site that i was able to get adminastrative access to i informed the owner of the website of what i did (annominously of course :p), and told them they should change their password.

i don't think your on to anything big here, i tried that with 5 different sites and just got a 404 error.

he did find something, its just that is pretty well known. You can find literally thousands of sites using inurl: in google that have this exploit.

and just for the record, that was hacking. gratz.

well IP filtering on a CPanel is a bit of overkill, mainly because if you want to log in from any random location, you would have to use some time of Dynamic DNS solution. The authentication process alone should be enough to protect the administrative side of your site, with a decent password. Anyone who leaves their password as the default is just asking for trouble. This isn't really an "exploit" as it isn't due to a defect in the code, it's more of an ID-10-T error :-D Furthermore, I'm calling BS on the fact that you "randomly" accessed 5 cpanel logins with well known user name and password combinations, mainly because any host that makes you a cpanel account applies the permissions to your user name and password with their services, and it is very doubtful that a user-chosen password is a CPanel default password. At rates of ~$1500 a month or some crazy amount like that, it's unlikely that a home user would be running a default CPanel config. Also the odds of you hitting 5 sites with this weakness are pretty preposterous. Either way, it should remind you that no matter how mundane the access seems to you, it should always be protected with a "strong" password.

You'd be suprised at how many have smile default guessable passwords. Sure it's hacking, you're getting something to do what it wasn't ment to.

The rates aren't near 1500 a month. 1225 for a lifetime license. Also provided free to educational groups. Also, I bet you could get it off a torrent.

Hypetech: You're right though security through obscurity isn't security at all. A strong password for sensative data is a must!

Back
Top Bottom