computer still slow

jetsmell

In Runtime
I tried; Start>Run>misconfig> start up> disabled a few,downloaded and used; CCleaner and Malwarebytes. Emptied recycle bin. Restarted, then defrag. Have xp, Firefox, with good ram, Norton 360.:mad:

Norton springs to mind as being a possibility - it's a bit of a resource hog. That said, it shouldn't slow you down that noticeably. The truth is it could be any number of things - you could spend months getting to the root cause of the issue.

...or you could just back everything up, wipe your disk and then start again.

I'd honestly pick the latter approach. It doesn't take long and could save you a lot of headache in the long run. Plus, you get a nice squeaky clean windows install without any rubbish clogging it up :)

I'm not computer literate at all. Exactly how do I back my things up ( what am I backing up ), and exactly how do I wipe things clean. Try to be as specific as possible, since I don't even have a clue. That said , I think that might be a good idea. I just don't want to screw things up. Thanks:confused:

You should have a recovery disk that came with your computer, or should have been prompted to make one. You'll need to find that before you continue.

You back up all your documents that you want to keep - everything on the computer at the moment will be deleted. If you've got an external hard drive you can copy all the files you need across onto that, or another computer - anything that'll hold them really. Usually this involves the contents of your "My documents" folder, and if you keep any documents anywhere else on your computer back those up too.

Then, just put the CD in the drive and reboot. It should boot from the CD and walk you through formatting the hard drive and then reinstalling windows.

Back
Top Bottom