Computer still running slow

Soul Man

Beta member
I had a virus and some spyware on my computer, which my Norton anti-virus and Ad-Aware have removed, (i also had to delete some spyware manually). But my computer still seems to be running slower than usual, even though i've ran the scans again, but they've picked nothing up. Does anyone know why?

Much appreciated!

There might be some viruses and/or adware that ur scanners didn't pick up.
try this.
start -> run -> msconfig -> startup and then uncheck all the nasty stuff. If u don't know what something is then google it. And make sure u don't uncheck anything important like some stuff that windows needs.

Make sure your anti virus and anti ad/spy/malware programs are up to date.
Get another ad/spy/malware program. Something like Spybot Search & Distroy. No one program sees all items.
Get crap cleaner. (ccleaner) This handy little tool cleans out the garbage that clogs up your system. Run it over and over until it doesn't pick up any thing.
And I'd not be so sure you got that virus if you had the restore points turned on while you ran the scans. Many nasties hide out in the restore points. When you run your scans they come back from hiding in there and it's back to business. Turn them off then run your scans. Warning> Disabling the restore point will delete them. But when you have a bad infestation you have to shut them off. Otherwise every thing you do is pointless.
Run your scans from safe mode. This mode loads just enough to get running. By not loading every thing the nasties get caught napping and it's bye bye.
As a side note, when you get done with all of the housekeeping chores, defrag. A seriously fraged drive will be the result of all the scans. It just takes a few mins and you will notice the difference in the performance of the system over all.
All the programs I memtioned can be gotten from this link.
http://www.filehippo.com/
Make sure you update every thing you use to scan/clean your system.
And finally don't forget to turn your restore points back on and once you're sure your clean, back up the system.

CCleaner is good as you also have my recommendation as well as setishock
If you have genuine reason to believe it is spyware and adware which i believe you have, download scanners like Ad Aware, Spybot Search And Destroy, Microsoft Anti Spyware, AVG and AntiVir which will probably check and clean your whole system ;)
You might also want to try and defragment your system too

I'm following instructions from symantec to get rid of a trojan, but everytime i delete a value from the registry thats to do with the virus, it re-apears. Does anyone know how to delete it for good?

Its ok i done it :D

Back
Top Bottom