Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Computer Hacked?

My computer has been freezing and crashing a lot recently and I think one of my roommates has something to do with it. I will not get into the specifics but he is an IT programming student and lately there has been bad blood, he is also very passive aggressive so this is something I wouldn't put past him. The router and modem are connected in his room, though I'm not sure if this would aid him in any way. Also my wireless internet connection has been slow at best lately and I've been wondering if there is a way to limit bandwidth to certain computers on the network. I have been looking around on the internet and it seems that something like this wouldn't be any problem to someone with a background in program writing, etc. I guess what I'm asking is is there a way to determine if someone is maliciously attacking my computer? And if so, what can I do to reverse some of the things that have been happening?

NardDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Computer Hacked?

Contact your internet service provider, they will provide solutions to your problem and able to do diagnostic tests to your PC via router /modem.

Also get the program Malwarebytes (free version) and run it on your computer and let it fix any problems it finds, you might have picked up rogue software etc etc, which might slow down your PC.

Cheers

officemanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to eslfish Send a message via MSN to eslfish Send a message via Yahoo to eslfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by officemanager View Post
Also get the program Malwarebytes (free version) and run it on your computer and let it fix any problems it finds, you might have picked up rogue software etc etc, which might slow down your PC.

Cheers
He's RIGHT!! Malwarebytes saves the day everytime I use it.
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
eslfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Beta Member

Thanks for the help. I tried downloading the malwarebytes program but the download stopped at 71%. I've also been noticing this with file transfers to other computers on the network. Also I went to do a system restore and the furthest I could go back was 2 days. A little odd but I went ahead and did the system restore and when it got to the step 1 of 3 initializing it took longer than usual. When it booted back up I got a message saying the system restore had failed. Any other suggestions or should i just take this thing to best buy or something?

Again thanks for the help.
NardDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardDog View Post
Thanks for the help. I tried downloading the malwarebytes program but the download stopped at 71%. I've also been noticing this with file transfers to other computers on the network. Also I went to do a system restore and the furthest I could go back was 2 days. A little odd but I went ahead and did the system restore and when it got to the step 1 of 3 initializing it took longer than usual. When it booted back up I got a message saying the system restore had failed. Any other suggestions or should i just take this thing to best buy or something?

Again thanks for the help.
Download malwarebytes from another computer not infected, possibly a freinds then put it on a memory stick... install and run it on your computer....
officemanager is offline   Reply With Quote